• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oshkosh P-4 Fire Crashtruck Preservation

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any news?

Pics?

Anything?!
It's kinda funny you should ask because Demon and I had a phone conversation about Jellybean just the other day. The trucks usually wait around the farm until the right people come along and Jellybean's story isn't over. We know it's heavy. .....HDN heavy lol. Gave it a little tug with a 5 ton today on frozen ground and Jellybean is going to need more persuasion then a little 5 ton.

The truck came from Fort Indian Town Gap and I gotta tell you the American spirit was strong out here today. It's not often we get a visit from an Eagle this size.

PB060007.JPG

or get to see gear like this rolling by.

STC_1090.JPG

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I WISH I could have presrved that machine....Such a shame someone with better intent did not get to own it...BIG sighhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
and wanders off........to..........find...........a

tissue
Yes Sir... I have shopped several times on GP hoping to find a crash truck. I found several USMC versions but they seem just a little out of my price range. Especially the one I found up in Mooresville and I thought maybe a preview of it might be possible. Kinda got told no, so I just decided to abandon that idea for now.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Alright Jellybean lovers, we need a distraction, let's do something fun....but nothing with balloons.

I found a little budget to explore Jellybean more. Head gaskets aren't expensive if that's all it is. I have invented time to take stuff apart and look for problems. We're planning on good weather to dive into the 1693 before April.

My decade long distraction isn't quite over but we need to manage Jellybean. Whether it's repairable with the budget that I have, we leave it in mothballs, have folks fund raise to get this girl driven back to Fort Indian Town Gap, drop at the Oshkosh museum or she gets listed for sale, we'll make a plan.

I've talked to Cat boys that say infield repairs are a nightmare and a Brent that says it's just nuts and bolts. I'm going with the Brent. If there are some Brents out there that have some 1693 exploration experience, let's hear what you've done. I'm in way over my head but have support.

A little recap on earlier efforts and an agreed upon statement of facts,..........

That, P4 was shut off by PO after overheating before 2012.

That, PO's last use for truck prior to overheat plugged radiator with Canada thistle. If it's not the Geese it's the thistle.

P2040177.JPG P2040178.JPG

That, two Dave's went through pre-start inspection, placed batteries, rolled the engine over with ease....almost a decade ago. Engine oil was checked and checked before roll over.

That, anti-freeze was purchased but not added until diagnosis said it was cool to spend money.

P2040175.JPG

That, diesel smoke began to rise from the radiator overflow almost immediately upon rolling engine over.

That, diagnosis was stopped and this symptom could simply be a wee tiny little heat bulge in the head gasket, no other damage, nothing to see here.

Current evaluation,.........

That, the oil in Jellybean is not milky

P2040183.JPG

That, ole' Jellybean built fluid in the engine oil holding spot since that day or on that day.

That, she may have built magical oil/diesel mix while we were doing that original testing. I don't recall checking fluid after we tried to turn it.

That, it says right on the dipstick "Do not overfill" so nobody added oil. A head gasket could let exhaust out but I'm trying to picture how it let diesel into the crankcase.... more imagination required.

P2040184.JPG

That, this bracket is broken and if this ole Cat runs, we're going to need to fix that that and that.

P2040186.JPG

That, we have books and pictures so plowboy can begin to understand what he's diving into.

P2040193.JPGP2040203.JPGP2040202.JPG

That, we should be on the lookout for the big ol' 18-22.5 rubber shoes jellybean will want one day....if she rolls and runs.

P2040190.JPG

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks