• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oshkosh WT 2206

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello folks I am looking at very possibly buying a truck and the one I am looking for is an Oshkosh WT 2206 everything I have read about the trucks has been in the positive, very heavy duty good reliability, they look mighty impressive also. I know some folks on this site are current owners of this truck in a few different configurations from snow blower units to trucks with some mighty large snow blades on them. I feel the best fit for my needs is a truck with NO snow removal equipment on it at all but I would like to have the ballast box on it. I know that most of these trucks have seen some pretty rough use in their lives and when your dealing with snow and ice then SALT certainly is a problem so RUST is a big concern of mine. In looking around it looks like I can afford something in the mid to late 80s vintage and would prefer an Air Force truck but if there is a civy in good shape that would also work. One thing that I did read about in the forums was what seemed to be a lack of replacement parts for these trucks, is that really a problem with them? If anybody has experience with these trucks please voice your concerns to me I think the trucks are awesome and thinking like that can get me into trouble!! Any comments you folks have concerning buying one of these please let me know what I have to look forward to or if its all BAD what I have to look forward to NOT dealing with! Also if you have any ideas on where a person may have some luck in purchasing one of these trucks, I live in ND so anything in this section of the country would be good!
Thanks very much for any comments good and bad you may have concerning this truck!

thanks
Karl

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
One of those or at least a similar Oshkosh model sold out of NY a few months ago. I was bidding on it for a while but it went for a whole lot more than I wanted to spend on it. It did have the snowblower attachment and the separate plow set with it and looked to be in good condition. I think it sold in the 28k with fees range. Cant you put a front pto and a snowblower attachment on the unimog I saw a Case farm unimog set up that way.
Will

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello Will the Unimog you saw was an SEE version an like just about every Unimog it seems you can attach just about anything somewhere on them. With that being said every Unimog i have seen with a snow blower on the front has been powered by its own engine on the back of the Unimog I have never seen a snow blower powered from the front PTO drive, I do not know why this is but its just what I have seen. Moving snow is NOT what I have in mind for this Oshkosh its one of those really neat trucks that I would like to learn a lot more about. I have had BIG military trucks before I just sold my MACK 123C, now that was a BIG truck and with the differential braking system there was a little to learn about that one. The truck I would like would have as little to NO snow removal gear on it at all, I had a chance to buy a 54 Oshkosh with a Snogo blower Unit on it that was run by a straight 8 CAT Diesel mounted on the rear, it was a true work of art till I figured out it burned just about 500 gallons of fuel per day when in use and I dont want blowing snow to be my full time job Will. Thanks for the comments on the 2206.
Karl

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks suprman I found that one also and sent and email to the owner looking for more pics, like I said before the blades/plow mean nothing to me I would end up selling them or if that did not work scrapping them, but thanks again Suprman the lead is appreciated
KK

NEIOWA

Have been quite a large # surplus by DOD in the last decade. Supply apparently has been drying up. DRMO McCoy has nice one they are hanging on to as a lot plow. Will no doubt hit the surplus listings one day when some supervisor catches up with them.

AF rebuilt a large # (or perhaps all) during the 80s where installed a CAT (3200series as I recall)w/Allison on what were much older chassis.

I'm sorry to say, I had one once, had to scrap it. One of the hardest things to do in a long time. There's a tread somewhere on here, has some good pics of the old girlaua I can't bear to look at it anymore.

JimM37

Hi Karl try Gearhart Machinery they have a late 70 s early 80 s 2206 for around $7000 with a box and underbody blade.
just type in a google search Oshkosh WT 2206 for sale and hit images and check out the one from Gearhart. You should be able to get parts from S A McLeans in Maine, he" s a good guy and has losts of good used truck parts at decent prices.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello JimM37 I did see that one in fact it was one of the first ones I looked at BUT (yes I know) it like SO many of them had a very serious case of rust! The price was good, it was the exact truck I was looking for but the close I looked the more rust I saw it was so bad in the cab corners that both rear cab corners would have had to be cut out and new steel welded in, I love the mechanical side of all these trucks but I am NOT a body man! Thanks much for keeping it in mind and I do appreciate you keeping any eye out for one JimM37!
Karl

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks