• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Our First Road Trip of the Summer

Utah CUCV

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM4MAJ8Shm8[/media]

Utah's Twelve Mile Canyon. An awsome weekend. Hot and sunny at the bottom of the mountain, snow at the top. Snow and rain the morning of the 2nd day, then sunny by afternoon. All in all a great time!

combatmech

We do....gotta go find it. It's not as scenic as Utah or Nevada though. Spent some time out at Dugway back in 2005. Flown through Utah several times.....[thumbzup]

Utah CUCV

We do....gotta go find it. It's not as scenic as Utah or Nevada though. Spent some time out at Dugway back in 2005. Flown through Utah several times.....[thumbzup]
Utah truly is a primo place for trail riding. It really is beautiful country. Sometimes I make my fiance' drive so I can sit in the troop seats with the kids. The open view is awesome. You contact me next time you're in Utah, we'll find a trail to explore.

Oldsouthernboy

Have you driven the the Butterfield Stage road from just south of Salt Lake through the mountains to Toole? I know its open only in the summer. I am planning a trip there to drive it and the Pony express trail next year.

Utah CUCV

Have you driven the the Butterfield Stage road from just south of Salt Lake through the mountains to Toole? I know its open only in the summer. I am planning a trip there to drive it and the Pony express trail next year.
No. I'm an implant to Utah, so I'm still learning a lot. But I'm gonna Google it. When I do take that trail, I'll post something here. One that I really want to check out is the old Uintah Railroad. The roadbed is still there and supposed to be a cool 4x4 trail.

What I have learned so far about going up in these mountains: A few hours by CUCV can be days by foot. Tell someone where you are going. Search & Rescue is always looking for people who didn't return. It helps if they are given a good idea of where to look. If you can, go with a group of trucks so that you don't have to wait for Search & Rescue to find you if you break down. Bring way more water than you need. No matter how hot it is, bring a jacket. There is no 911...I hope I never need them, but I always bring a gun and 1st aid kit.

Utah CUCV

I've been looking online at that Butterfield Stage Trail. East of SLC it passes fairly close to where I live. So now I have to go find it. I better pack some reserve fuel, as it looks like you might could go a ways between stations.

Oldsouthernboy

The road is about 38 miles long, The first part west to east is about 15 miles or so and is I was told about a 5 trail rating with locker advised. Once you top out it goes to dirt road for the rest of the way, you come into Toole off the mountain by the golf course. You can Google it from Google earth, Start from the Toole side and you can find with a little looking. It is very interesting. I want to arrange a group drive. When I do it

Hightechken

I got an old wood caboose on Ebay of all places! #20 from LS&I, Lake Superior & Ishpeming. Shipping cost more than the car. Frame was built in 1896 as a coal tender, And when they went to larger steam engines in 1932 they converted it to a caboose. Got the outside pretty well fixed up right away, Still working on the interior. Not that it is too bad, Just slow going with tons of other projects.

Utah CUCV

Highteckken that is awesome. I want to get a train car and make a guest house out of it. Probably some rule against it. But it would be cool.

Hightechken

That is my plan for this one. To set up a few model trains inside it for my grandkids to play with, And have sleepovers in with their mom! A kind of family guesthouse.
I was originally going to make a full scale 1 to 1 "replica" caboose, but then found this real one on Ebay for less than it would have cost me to build a replica!