• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Our MTVR camper:

DirtyDirk

Air conditioning and armor ready... it has specific amounts for armor plate as far as I can tell

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

MTVR

Air conditioning and armor ready... it has specific amounts for armor plate as far as I can tell

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
To clarify, the MK23 is the basic truck. The MK23A1 is the "RTAA" (Ready To Accept Armor) version. The AMK23 (the version that I bought) came with the MAS armor (which appears to have been removed from my truck). And the AMK23A1 would come with the "reducible" armor that allows for a reduced height during transport.

Last edited:

MTVR

It is in your best interest to obtain a CDL, you have a wait time on getting the truck so study up. It will be 4 to 12 weeks. Probably longer since this is your first time. They hand them out at walmart now so anyone can pass the test. Then just rent a truck for the driving portion. Or use the 7 ton with the tag trailer. It is in your best interest for your insurance as well as general safety. In the event you ever have an accident and someone is hurt, the other side legal pursuit is going to be if you were capable of handling a truck that size and if you had proper training for it.
I don't know your background- are you a personal injury lawyer that specializes in this kind of stuff?

I am a retired police officer with specialized commercial truck training, and extensive experience investigating motor vehicle collisions.

My professional opinion, based upon my training and experience, is that having a CDL would do absolutely nothing to mitigate the legal culpability for what someone did while driving a vehicle that does not require a CDL.

The only thing that would matter, is whether someone is licensed for the vehicle they are operating or not. The most common example of this that I have encountered, comes up during DUI arrests of people on Harley-Davidsons, who have driver's licenses, but do not have motorcycle endorsements, and thus end up getting arrested for DWOL (Driving Without License) in addition to their DUI arrest, getting arrested for reckless driving for doing those things with a passenger if they had one, and getting tickets for the noisy modified exhaust that got them stopped in the first place.

Having a CDL could actually increase someone's problems in a collision- a blood alcohol level of .04 with a regular driver's license is not DUI, but a blood alcohol level of .04 with a CDL IS a DUI. Being at fault in a collision could have consequences in any criminal or subsequent civil court cases. Being at fault in a collision while DUI, would be infinitely worse.

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I don't know your background- are you a personal injury lawyer that specializes in this kind of stuff?

I am a retired police officer with specialized commercial truck training, and extensive experience investigating motor vehicle collisions.

My professional opinion, based upon my training and experience, is that having a CDL would do absolutely nothing to mitigate the legal culpability for what someone did while driving a vehicle that does not require a CDL.

The only thing that would matter, is whether someone is licensed for the vehicle they are operating or not. The most common example of this that I have encountered, comes up during DUI arrests of people on Harley-Davidsons, who have driver's licenses, but do not have motorcycle endorsements, and thus end up getting arrested for DWOL (Driving Without License) in addition to their DUI arrest, getting arrested for reckless driving for doing those things with a passenger if they had one, and getting tickets for the noisy modified exhaust that got them stopped in the first place.

Having a CDL could actually increase someone's problems in a collision- a blood alcohol level of .04 with a regular driver's license is not DUI, but a blood alcohol level of .04 with a CDL IS a DUI. Being at fault in a collision could have consequences in any criminal or subsequent civil court cases. Being at fault in a collision while DUI, would be infinitely worse.
The original design of the vehicle requires a CDL in your state is what could be argued.

I have read the Oregon motorhome registration guide. I don't think the shipping container on the iso locks is going to cut it as reconstructed/permanently altered since it could be removed. Compared to constructed box/camper directly to the frame that is lists for pickup trucks or truck frames it lists as approved. A completely rebuilt box is what has been done by other overland builders.

Surplus military trucks are not well received on the roads in some states, with some of them being banned all together, regardless of their design or intended repurposed use by civilians.

MTVR

The original design of the vehicle requires a CDL in your state is what could be argued.
Argued by who? You? Again, are you a personal injury lawyer? What vocational training have you had in this area? What vocational and/or personal experience(s) have you had in this area?

The original design of the vehicle does not require a CDL by the original user (the USMC), nor will a CDL be required by my redesign of that same vehicle.

I have read the Oregon motorhome registration guide.
I've done a heck of a lot more than that- I have read the actual ORS (Oregon Revised Statutes) and spoken with Oregon DMV officials.

I don't think the shipping container on the iso locks is going to cut it as reconstructed/permanently altered since it could be removed.
What do you mean by won't "cut it"? Oregon DMV has no inspection program to determine if a motorhome is a motorhome. I just fill out the paperwork and submit it to the DMV.

Anything CAN be removed. But until it IS removed, it's permanent. If there is some legal definition of the word "permanent" in the ORS that contradicts this, I'd like to see it.

Compared to constructed box/camper directly to the frame that is lists for pickup trucks or truck frames it lists as approved.
Sorry, I'm not understanding what you're trying to say there.

A completely rebuilt box is what has been done by other overland builders.
Legality is not determined by what other people have done or not done.

Surplus military trucks are not well received on the roads in some states, with some of them being banned all together, regardless of their design or intended repurposed use by civilians.
Well, it's a good thing we've got 49 other states to choose from.

MTVR

It's all good- it's just discussion. Most of it was helpful, with only a few questionable statements. And questionable statements tend to get questioned. 😀

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
It's all good- it's just discussion. Most of it was helpful, with only a few questionable statements. And questionable statements tend to get questioned.
I’m all for a thorough debate, with that said Wes is probably one of the most knowledgeable in our hobby considering he has travelled the entire country many times with almost every military vehicle available to us as civilians and even vehicles unavailable to us. He also knows a thing or two about laws

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTVR

I’m all for a thorough debate, with that said Wes is probably one of the most knowledgeable in our hobby considering he has travelled the entire country many times with almost every military vehicle available to us as civilians and even vehicles unavailable to us. He also knows a thing or two about laws

Thank you, Elijah. I would not have known that about Wes, unless somebody had told me- that's why I asked him about his qualifications...twice.

We can discuss CFR (Code of Federal Regulations) Title 49, we can discuss the vehicle statutes of various states, we can discuss administrative rules, procedures, and so on, but I do not wish to debate anyone... 😉

Last edited:

MTVR

I called GovPlanet today asking the status of my EUC. They emailed me back, statiing that my EUC has already been submitted to the TSC. I do not know the exact date that it was submitted.

MTVR

Sitting here bored off my ascend, wondering what's next- am I able to follow up with TSC to track (and/or stimulate) the progress of my EUC?

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
With this ordeal going on, don’t expect a fast result. You’re early into the waiting process, expect to receive the truck in July and be happy any day it clears sooner than that

MTVR

With this ordeal going on, don’t expect a fast result. You’re early into the waiting process, expect to receive the truck in July and be happy any day it clears sooner than that

Thanks.

I'm hoping for the best- I'm hoping to take delivery before the days start to get short/cold/wet again...

Bhpdbrad

Thanks.

I'm hoping for the best- I'm hoping to take delivery before the days start to get short/cold/wet again...
I was wondering if I could can gain some understanding of the EUC's here.

I have noticed that recent auctions have not listed the EUC as a restriction on the sale of the MTVR's. Yet, I did recall seeing it on previous listings/sales months back. Has this changed now for MTVR's now (no EUC for these anymore)?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks