• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Our NEWEST project: M1010 Ambulance

Madmedic

Oxygen Systems for M1010:

The M1010 unlike Civilian Ambulances, does not have a central oxygen delivery system inside the ambulance. Instead we relied on a collection of oxygen bottles. The Portable oxygen system had a hard case, with a "D" Size Oxygen cylinder. This system shown, came with a regulator which allowed standard oxygen delivery through a mask or nasal cannula, as well as a Demand Valve Pressure system for use in Respiratory Assistance or CPR.

On the ambulance it'self we carried 4 more "D" cylinders, 2 on each side. In THEORY this would have allowed us to supply oxygen to up to 4 patients at one time. One bottle was also set up with a demand valve. All others were set up with a standard regulator for Mask or Nasal Cannula Delivery only. The bottles had a tendency to bang around, so many times we would improvise padding from Foam Sleeping Mats, cut into pieces and placed around the bottles

Many times spare Oral Airways would be taped to the support frame, so they could be accessed quickly, if needed.

Also, crews would keep a spare "E" cylinder as a back up for oxygen delivery, if there was going to be a long time transport needing oxygen. It was secured in the storage area using whatever means they had available.
Oxygen 1.jpgOxygen 2.jpgOxygen 3.jpgOxygen 4.jpgOxygen 5.jpg

dmetalmiki

Pretty neat. Any other MV "clubbing" buddies nearby around you to rally with?
Yes we have a huge steel barn and enough vehicles to start an army! We go to local shows whenever we can, And the War and Peace every year (our mecca) I roll dice flip coins or enni meeni miny mo to choose which one (two( or three..)) I must take. I am thinking of cutting down now .. but was eying a Diamond T (with the orriginal herculese engine) A rogers trailer..AND a sherman tank recovery. The whole rebuilt and ready to show. just don't seem to be able..to..quit.

Another Ahab

Yes we have a huge steel barn and enough vehicles to start an army! We go to local shows whenever we can, And the War and Peace every year (our mecca) I roll dice flip coins or enni meeni miny mo to choose which one (two( or three..)) I must take. I am thinking of cutting down now .. but was eying a Diamond T (with the orriginal herculese engine) A rogers trailer..AND a sherman tank recovery. The whole rebuilt and ready to show. just don't seem to be able..to..quit.
Oh Lordy, dmetalmiki, would love to see some pictures from those events:

- And especially the M4 Sherman recovery.

Learn to live with your disease...

Madmedic

I know how you feel. We've run out of room to store vehicles, and are now relying on the generosity of friends with LARGE ACREAGE and no Home Owner's Associations, for storage. (Although it's really really fun to mess with the HOA by rotating the Mil Vehicles on the driveway).

We have been afflicted by a truly insidious and expensive disease.

Madmedic

Spotlight.jpg

Had to make a run up to Oklahoma City GL to pick up a load yesterday and today. On the way back, stopped to see Mark at RAPCO and pick up a few goodies. While I was there, he showed me that he has the Spotlight for the Driver's compartment, brand new in the box. I didn't ask him price, so you'll have to contact him directly and ask.

Madmedic

Back at work on the beast:

Now working on the driver's compartment. Got both seats out, have the passenger's side scrubbed out, and starting to paint. Should have entire interior done this weekend, and new floor mat with padding in.

IMG_0522.jpg

Madmedic

Rattle Can yes: Masking where necessary. Planning on replacing the rubber gaskets around doors, windshield etc, so not worried about that.

Madmedic

I missed a step, sorry. We are finished (well,,,, 80%) with the patient compartment, except for a final GI Inspection type cleaning. Only thing left, is to have the new blackout curtains on the doors installed. We put in a 2nd coat of paint on the floor, and added the rubber matting. Picture a "T" 1 long stretch of rubber matting running the entire length of the compartment, and 2 separate pieces of matting on the floor of the two side storage areas.

When I was a medic on these type units, we used whatever we could find for the matting. From used foam sleeping mats, to purchasing door mats, to stealing (ahem. I mean borrowing) and cutting up matting from the kitchen of an Officer's Club. The matting I used here, I purchased from a restaurant supply company by the foot.

Key thing to remember, is that the material has to provide sure footing when boots are bloody or muddy, AND JUST AS IMPORTANT, easily removable for cleaning (or hiding from CID).

New Floor 2.jpgNew Floor 3.jpg

Last edited:

Madmedic

Whups. Have hit a wall.

Was finished repainting the floor pan and began the process of putting in the new floor liner.... and we stop.

Got the pad in, with a little trimming. and then un-folded, and un-folded, the rubber floor liner,,,,,, looked at it reeeeallll carefully for 30 seconds, and said "Nope, ain't even gonna try". So it's time to "PUNT". Will put the seats back in etc. And when it goes for the outside paint job, I'll get the same body shop to put floor liner in.

But I completely understand now, why the floor liner that was in this unit when I got it, was actually different sections which overlapped each other instead of a single large piece. Obviously, the military at some point replaced the factory liner themselves.

Floor Mat 1.jpgFloor Mat 2.jpg

Madmedic

Got the doors taken care of today:

Took the interior panels off, prepped and repainted the interior of the doors, took a look at the window mechanisms, and applied a new coat of lithium grease to the mech. The rubber bumpers on the window crank mechanisms are seriously degraded, so they will be replaced. (These are inside the door, on the shaft connecting the window crank handle to the scissor raising/lowering mechanism inside the sheet metal portion of the door)

Haven't decided yet, what direction I want to go with the door panels. I can put the old ones back as is, re-dye them and put them back, or put on new ones. PROBABLY going to go with option A. Simply because that's the path of least resistance.

Door 1.jpgDoor Panel.jpgDoor Cushion.jpg

Also got the antenna base mounted and wired in. (left side of pict). On the Right side of the picture you can see the remains of the base for the beacon light. Will be putting a new beacon up after painting, and a replacement antenna for a commercial 2-way, that was also mounted on that second base.

Antenna 1.jpg

Madmedic

To answer a few questions I've gotten:

Yes, Cardiac monitors and Drug Boxes were carried on the M1010's & other "Bandaids, Armored or not. It would depend on the level of training of the medical personnel on the unit. In the 80's we had 91 Alpha's and 91 Bravos. In loose civilian terms, a 91 A was the equivalent of an Advanced Trained EMT Basic. A 91 B was an Advanced Trained EMT-Paramedic. The Cardiac monitor most common at that time was the Physio-Control Life Pack 5. (I think they're up to a Life Pack 12 now) These would be stored on floor, in the storage area, passenger's side, patient compartment.

For airway assistance, the ambulances did and still do carry the AMBU-Bag, in addition to using the Demand Valve System. As shown in the pictures, the military has even developed an AMBU-Bag that can work with the current issue NBC Gas Masks & Filters for giving a patient CPR in a chemical enviroment. These would be stored on the right hand side compartment with the other Airway Supplies.

Ambu 4.jpgAmbu 1.jpgAmbu 2.jpgAmbu 3.jpg

The Back rest support for the litter was carried in the ambulances, but were mainly used by the Ambulance crews during down time for R&R at the beach etc. We rarely used them with patients. Photo courtesy of Gov Liquidations.

LItter Back Rest.jpg

Madmedic

Finished with interior repaint. Finally. Even with working inside of a ventilated shop, this weather and the associated humidity has been murder. (It's what we get for living in a city built on a swamp).

Door gaskets in, Windshield Gasket in, replaced all pedals with new rubber. Will be replacing the brake and hood handles as well. In the Picture, I show the old and the new gas pedals together before the replacement.

Re-installed (partially) the foot ramp that goes between the two seats. Had lots of left over rubber matting from the rear compartment project. Using pieces of that for the matting on the foot ramp. One piece is on, will put the other piece on after we get the rubber floor liner in (next week??? I hope I hope).

Waiting on parts, to put the door panels in.

Drivers side.jpgPassengers side.jpgFloor Ramp.jpgNew Pedals.jpg

Madmedic

Wellll........ THIS wasn't the way I wanted to start the weekend.

Decided to start working on the Roof Areas. AC, Red Cross Panel, Etc Etc.

Soooooooo, started looking at the Red Cross Panel. At first excited because the outline is still there. This will make it easy for those of us who failed art class in elementary school, to tape and repaint, while keeping straight lines and porportions. Then I realized some *&$hole decided to use silicone to hold the red cross panel down on the roof!!!
Roof 1.jpgRoof 2.jpgRoof 3.jpg

Madmedic

Annnnnnnd the hits keep coming.

Turns out if we look closely at pict #3 of the last post?? Ohhhh that silicone sealant isn't just holding the panel in place... oh no no NO!!! THAT would be too easy. It's actually waterproofing the head of a pop rivet. They ran pop rivets down the panel on the passengers side. 12 times.

Once again..... PUNT!! Will let the body shop deal with removal and sealing the metal when I am able to take it in for the external paint job.

But this also leads me to another related subject: Anyone got a source for replacement clips that hold the panels in place?

cucvrus

Is it like a snap clip? Do you have a picture? I thought they were the same clips that held hazard pacards on the sides of trucks when you flip them. Let me see a picture I have lots of clips and several CUCV M1010 bodies in my field. I converted 5 of them into pick up trucks over the years.

Madmedic

I'll get ya some close up picts and a count of how many I need Monday. Won't be around it again till then. Am also looking for a complete set of the Lug Wrench, Jack, & Jack operating arm.

Since I couldn't do anything with the Roof Panel, and I was up there anyway, got started on the AC Unit. Got the top off and as y'all can see in the picts, more proof that it spent time in a Desert "somewhere". Got it all cleaned up and ready for the "AC GUY" to come in and fix whatever needs to be fixed.

Also got the silly solar panel for the battery maintainer off of the roof of the AC, and the remains of the beacon light removed from the side mount. Will have picts Monday with everything remounted.

Air Conditioner 1.jpgAir Conditioner 2.jpgAir Conditioner 3.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks