• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Out of balance ???

Scarecrow1

I picked up and drove my 923A1 several hundred miles home last week. I was very pleased with it's overall handling ,but it was not possible to keep it a smooth ride at some speeds .There was one time when I thought there was a flat tire .What I was wondering was is it possible to balance the 1400,s that it came with . I love the truck and will fix it up and most likely sell it next year but , don't want to pass on the out of balance ride I get at certain speeds. Thanks for any insight to this problem ............

Triple C

When I brought my M925 back from Riley, my brother in law was with me. He was in the Army for 23 years as a sargent in the motor pool. He is quite familiar with these trucks and tires. When we started out it was pretty bumpy. He told me they do that for a bit till they warm up and after that, if they still bounce they are either out of balance or about to lose a belt. I didn't take him as seriously as I should have because I blew a steer tire while going through KC. He helped me change it but reminded me that the max speed the 1400 is rated for is 55mph. I had been exceeding that quite a bit. Don't know of any way to balance them but you could check with some of the class 8 shops, some of those guys may be able to spin balance them.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There was a post on here a while back about some thing like silica sand that could be put into the tire, of course you would have to take the tire/wheel apart to do this, I was interested in this because I was putting 1400s on my 925 but seem to have gotten lucky it needs nothing and rides smooth. Good luck and please keep us posted on how you cure this issue!
KK

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
...........What I was wondering was is it possible to balance the 1400,s that it came with . I love the truck and will fix it up and most likely sell it next year but , don't want to pass on the out of balance ride I get at certain speeds. Thanks for any insight to this problem ............
I see no reason this couldn't be done. Maybe get some ideas, here....

G.

Scarecrow1

Thanks guys .Your the greatest ... This is the only thing that I don't like about the truck . I don't plan on going on any long trips but you never know and it would make the ride much better if I can solve the problem I will make some calls here locally and let you know if it can be done . Again thanks

Robbied46

I use a product called "equal". It does a fantastic job at balancing, is cheap, and available from any tire shop that sells truck tires.

Special T

Good video. It works, and the active ingrediant ethiline glycol swells and conditions the butal rubber inner liner. I have used antifreeze several times to get bias tires that are heavily weather cracked and leaking to seal up by putting a bunch in the tire airing up and running. The glycol is also an active ingrediant in many tire sealers in addition to fiber and rubber dust.
Equil works best in dry environments. It will tend to clump if you are in humid areas or do not use an air drier when filling with air.
It takes much less weight to balance a tire from the inside because of the centrifical nature of the balancing needxed.

Another product that is used in mining haul truck tires is Tire Life. It is very similar to antifreeze. Eventually antifreeze will deteriorate the inner liner/ butal rubber. I think used 50/50 antifreeze would work best o. A budget.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks