• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Out of town, having trans issues, help.

BassnTruck

Need some help guys didn't know where else to post. I am in PA drove here from Kansas. Van is a 89 econoline e250, 351, C6. Right before we drove into PA the C6 acted like it poped out of OD. (I know the C6 has no OD I am just trying to tell what happened.) So now it is reveing alot higher then it was. The trans was rebuilt about 1000 miles ago and it had been fine untill now. Fluid is still clean and may be slightly over filled.

So anyone lend any insight to me on what may be wrong and if it is something I can fix away from how with limited tool access. If it dosen't give out it will be a long drive home at 45MPH.
I am on my laptop on a mobile card that is super slow. We are just about to get on the toll road and will be heading to Philly because my grandmother passed away last Saturday.

Thanks alot guys. If you have any ideas and want to call me you can.

Joe

JohnnyReb

If it is sliding down in another gear than I really don't know what is going on.....shift linkage?

If is rev'ing up because the bands are slipping (which should not happen with a recent rebuild) then you can dope up the trans to stop or limit the slipping and get you to your destination. I once drove a '69 Merc. Marauder from Winnepeg Manitoba to North Georgia with slipping bands.....Only had 3rd gear left when I got home but avoided a heck of a tow bill!

If you do dope it then it will probably need another rebuild of at least the bands......(fluid change may do it but I would not count on it). However, sounds like your trans mechanic owes you another look in the case anyway.

JohnnyReb

For the other viewers on the site:
gave Joe a call and he said the trans had shifted back into 3rd and seemed to be working normally. The trans had actually built up enough pressure to push the dipstick up to cause it to leak.

I told him that the least it could be was either some trash that went thru the valve body and was flushed back into the system OR the rebuilder had overfilled with fluid and the dipstick had bled out enough to allow normal operation.

One thing about Ford trans. is that it is important not to overfill with fluid.....it will drive 'em wacky! (personal experience)

BassnTruck

Yes it seems to be working again now. We are not stopping unless we have to. I think we are about 2 hours out from where we want to go. I think we have just enough fuel to make it with otu stopping. Then we get to see what happens on the way home. lol

But if anyone can come uo with something else post it up or get a hold of me. I know how hard it is to try to diag something like this with out being there and being able to touch it. Right now we are just hoping for the best.

Thanks

wyomingjeep

Make sure all your vacuum lines are hooked up i know alot of ford transmissions have a valve thats needs vacuum so it will shift out of second. Most of the time it is located on i beleave the lower driver side. I hope i am right because its a easy fix.

hippiedude

As soon a you hav a opp. .... before you shut down pull the stick and smell it....if it smells burnt .....too much heat.....if that is the case you got a big problem ...hit auto parts store get some transmission medic ( pint size ) add that and good luck .... Tim

BassnTruck

Well I made it home tonight. It just may have just been the fan clutch sticking after thinking about it. Thanks anyway guys.

jwaller

auto trannies must not be overfull. if they are they can and will foam the fluid and when the pump pulls the foam in it obviously will not work right. I build auto trannies for a living so this isnt just a wifves tale.

BassnTruck

Yes it did it a number of times again. Being the van has no tach couldn't see if it really did rev higher. But according to the MPG it was getting (really sad BTW lol) I really think it has a faulty fan clutch. I was going to remove it for the trip home but did not get a chance.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks