• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Out with the old - in with the new!

mangus580

Sorry guys - we had to take down the old site tonight. It is down until further notice. It seems it was hijacked and was sending out LARGE amounts of spam.

This forces me to work feverishly on a new method for storing TM's, PS mag articles, etc.

I have some great ideas for everything, but I could really use a couple of 'task forces' to work with for suggestions, etc to make sure that I get things done in a reasonable fashion (read: hopefully minimal complaints!!)

Help needed for the following discussions:

• TM Section
  • Vehicle 'Data' section (read: specs, TM's, faq's - maybe a better version of the current wiki)
  • Classifieds!!! (NO we will NOT use the forums for classifieds so dont even bring it up ---- I have a great long requested feature in my pocket for this ;) )
  • PS Magazine section
  • Media gallery?
I am open to other 'section' ideas as well....

I have a bunch of plans for this 'migration' and we may in the end of it all, see the demise of Vbulletin for the forum posts as well. I am hoping to integrate things in a better fashion to make life easier across the board.

New features MAY include (and not limited to) the following:

• User customizable dashboard (somewhat like iGoogle)
  • Member Map!!!!
  • MUCH better classified system
  • did I mention MEMBER MAP????
  • better theme colors (possibly even multiple choices! - but dont hold me to that one)
  • 'Fixed' chat integration (we will still use this 'new' chat we have, just shall be properly integrated)
  • SS Store!! (down the road - but it will definitely happen)
  • 'Section' oriented 'home pages' (like Deuce, CUCV, etc) that will isolate out content for that section
  • User to User IM (very similar to facebook chat!)
  • MUCH better image upload handling (read: upload multiple images at once!) - may include drag & drop uploading
  • Mobile friendly site (eventually....)

This is a good place to offer 'feature requests' - keep in mind that I may (and most likely) will not respond individually to every request...

So.... long story short, I need some volunteers for the above task forces. Please PM me with a first and second option for what you would be willing to help with. Be aware that I will most likely deny help from people with low post count (no offense, I just want to work with longer standing members as they have formed many opinions of how SS 'should' be over the years)

I will not honor any task force messages left as a reply to this post. It MUST be PM'd to me.

I may not respond to the PM right away....

Its going to be a bumpy road... but really, with MV's what road isnt???

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks Mike. This is by far the largest and most exciting renovation this site has ever undergone! A lot of these features have been a long time coming. We are hopeful that this upgrade will fit the needs of the majority of our members and take the site to the next level. Mike and I are comitted to the long term success and growth of this site. We are making a substantial investment of time and money with this upgrade and want to do it just right. Please offer help if you are able. We welcome any feedback, thoughts, suggestions, perspectives, etc... that you guys and gals may have. Thanks and hang on, it's going to be a fun ride!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Coming soon, in 2025!

New features MAY include (and not limited to) the following:

• User customizable dashboard (somewhat like iGoogle)
  • Member Map!!!!
  • MUCH better classified system
  • did I mention MEMBER MAP????
  • better theme colors (possibly even multiple choices! - but dont hold me to that one)
  • 'Fixed' chat integration (we will still use this 'new' chat we have, just shall be properly integrated)
  • SS Store!! (down the road - but it will definitely happen)
  • 'Section' oriented 'home pages' (like Deuce, CUCV, etc) that will isolate out content for that section
  • User to User IM (very similar to facebook chat!)
  • MUCH better image upload handling (read: upload multiple images at once!) - may include drag & drop uploading
  • Mobile friendly site (eventually....)

This is a good place to offer 'feature requests' - keep in mind that I may (and most likely) will not respond individually to every request...

So.... long story short, I need some volunteers for the above task forces. Please PM me with a first and second option for what you would be willing to help with. Be aware that I will most likely deny help from people with low post count (no offense, I just want to work with longer standing members as they have formed many opinions of how SS 'should' be over the years)

I will not honor any task force messages left as a reply to this post. It MUST be PM'd to me.

I may not respond to the PM right away....

Its going to be a bumpy road... but really, with MV's what road isnt???

HEHE, fixed it for ya!

Don't ban me, PLEASE!

gunboy1656

You covered all the suggestions I made in the past. Only new one I can think of is get rid of the general search function, and only have the advanced search.

You need my help just name it, I am not very computer savvy, but I can figure a lot of things out, and I am on here a lot throughout the day.

mangus580

I should mention the 'task force' help I need is an idea wagon.... computer savvy is not a requirement at all! It might almost be a detriment!!

91W350

Thanks for all you have done for the hobby, a great bunch of guys has been brought together here. You cannot beat this knowledge base anywhere! Glen

dc3coyote

Chris, and Mike
Thank you for doing the upgrade and all of your hard work and dedication. You guys make this site a second home for many of us here.
If there is anything I can do to help please dont hesistate to ask.

Branan

rnd-motorsports

I have not been a member very long but the time I have been has been great lots of good peaple and love to help out others Anything I can do to help just ask! and hope its back up soon!

Vendetta

Noobs...

So does this mean that noob's with questions (and others too I suppose) get a reprieve on the "do a search :deadhorse:" ?
Sorry, I crack myself up... :jumpin:rofl

Or as my wife just told me maybe it is more so... :cookoo:

Seriously tho, hope to get the TM's back up soom... lot of good stuff there that I haven't got to go through yet.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks