• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Outside air intake?

Barrman

The air comes in all the time from the cowling between the hood and glass. I assume this question came up because your add on a/c is blowing cold and you have a flow of fresh hot air coming out either the floor or the defrost vents? Besides finding a civi resurculation door, housing and installing it. I really don't see a solution besides setting the heater to defrost and stuffing rags in there.

OL AG '89

I think you could possibly put a T-fitting on the heater coolant lines under the hood. You could then just redirect the hot water without passing through the heater core in the cab.
you wouldn't get any heat from the heater core until you removed the "bypass"

Barrman

I don't think his issue is the heater core putting out heat. Moving the stock slide to the far left takes care of that. It is the ambient air coming in that is killing his add on a/c effectiveness if I understand him correctly.

carter262

Did anyone ever find a solution to this?

My M1009 is blowing hot air through the floor vent, stronger flow the faster your drive, event with all the heat controls turned to the off position. It's 90 some degrees outside and the heat is killing me.

Barrman

When I did the add on a/c to my M1009. I found duct tape on the floor vents with the top slide set to floor works real well. Unless you drive over 70 for a long period of time and the duct tape pops off from the air flow. I carry a roll under the drivers seat and reapply as needed.

There really isn't a technical fix to this since the stock heater system is designed to let in fresh air. Vintage Air complete HVAC in dash unit blocks of the fresh air and gives you vents to feel heat or cold in your face. But, that is a $1,500 fix.

cucvrus

My M1009 is blowing hot air through the floor vent, stronger flow the faster your drive, event with all the heat controls turned to the off position. It's 90 some degrees outside and the heat is killing me.
The foam sealers/gaskets on the flapper door are gone. I would suggest getting the heater box out and replacing the seals/foam/gasket with something that will seal the heater core. Another way is to put a water valve in the heater hose feeding the heater. Seal off the hot water that is going to the heater. Quick fix and no need to drain the cooling system. Cost less then $10. for a valve with barbed connections. Good Luck.

carter262

Does the fresh air that comes in from the cowl at the windshield go through the heater core?

I was thinking of taking off the cowl and sealing / covering the fresh air holes. Has anyone done this? What are the down sides?

german m1008

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I think it looks like this........like cucvrus said
4E9455BA-0D9B-4CD0-8E65-1AA3A7E64E64.jpgB0AEC0D1-C02D-4436-A3D9-D65DE5981335.jpgA6C34A36-26AD-436B-A848-FA58CAF1AD6D.jpg
after some work it could look like this........
CA31F31E-139E-4470-AD38-FDEE99F7DCAF.jpgA402C229-9310-4CED-ACC7-618CD008D1BC.jpg0DC8D8D1-08A1-4FF8-8C35-B3DB9AD77045.jpg

cucvrus

Also the air vents on the kick panel will be disabled and it will still catch air from the bottom of the cab cowl. I would say replacing the heater box flapper door seals is the best bet. Have a Great Day.

carter262

I think it looks like this........like cucvrus said
View attachment 733481View attachment 733482View attachment 733483
after some work it could look like this........
View attachment 733484View attachment 733485View attachment 733486
Okay took the one off my parts truck. So the flap in the second picture is supposed to have foam on it to seal off the air flow when closed, correct?

Mine doesn't have any foam in it anywhere but all flaps seems to working correctly when you move the levers.

carter262

Okay, I have really look this over now. It appears to be designed to allow air flow from the outside even when all levers are in the off position. It appears that the air will flow around the heater core when the heat is off and when you cut the heat on the flap closes that fresh air bypass and directs air through the heater core.

So this is a problem for me. I have installed a Nastalgic air kit so I have AC. The hot air coming in from the floor event when the heat is off is not helping at all. Especially when its in the 90's outside.

So I am going to block the fresh air bypass and put foam on the flaps to help them seal. I think I can cut a piece of sheet metal or plastic fit it down in the hole and seal it with silicon. That should do the trick. I will not have fresh air through the dash vents but I don't care. I only run it when I need heat anyway.
The red outline on the picture is where the fresh air goes around the heater core when heat is cut off.

Attachments

Last edited:

Gunfreak25

Did blocking off the red outline circled above in the factory heater box yield blocked fresh air? Holy thread resurrection batman

carter262

Did blocking off the red outline circled above in the factory heater box yield blocked fresh air? Holy thread resurrection batman
I did end up blocking off the bypass. I had good and not what I wanted effects.

The good was during the winter the heat seemed to do better. All the air was directed through the heater core which helps.

During the summer with the heat cut off (the flap is closed against the heater core) there still is some hot air coming through the floor / under the dash vent.

I feel that it helped. If I had to do it over again I would probally do it because I feel that it helped the heat during the winter months.

als804

This is what i want to find. I have also custom A/C . In summer i notice there are hot air under the dash This unknown hot air always comes through heater unit in to inner even when all levers are off positions. I thought outside hot air flows from cowl vent through heater core in. I have to block red circle!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks