• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ouverson axle shafts warning

rancherrob

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please be aware that if you are considering upgrading to Ouverson 16 spline alloy front axle shafts that the universal joints may be larger than the u-joints on the stock axles which can cause big problems. The Ouverson u-joint measures 5.134" across which is almost a 1/4" larger than the stock ones I have. This caused the shoulders on the yolks to rub against the spindle and seal which after only 20 or so miles now both need to be replaced. Not to mention all the trouble shooting it took to try and figure out the problem. I confirmed that the 5.134" distance from shoulder to shoulder is to specification with Ouverson. It just isn't what my stock U-joint is.
Curiously, it only seems to be happening on the short shaft on the passenger side. I only caught it because the heat was transferring to the hub and making it hot. Scary to think what would have happened had I not checked the hubs for heat.
I'm sure they have sold hundreds of these with no problems but on mine, a 1968/1987 AirForce M35A2C, it was a big issue. Check the size of your u-joints before ordering.

worn seal.jpgworn spindle.jpgaxle shaft comparison.jpg
Shaft comparison pic isn't the best but the angle on the bottom level/straight edge is larger than on the top which when viewed from the side as I set it up is straight.

Last edited:

peashooter

Interesting. So I assume you called and talked to Randy Ouverson about the problem right? Does this mean there are different size U-joints and cases out there? I thought they were all the same.

rancherrob

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I asked for Randy but he wasn't available so I talked to Steve, the shop manager I think. He confirmed the dimensions. He said I could ship it back to them and they could put it on the lathe and turn it down some without being worried of jeopardizing the structural integrity. He didn't say if it would be free of charge but with shipping alone it will probably be cheaper for me just to find someone local. He also gave me some things to check which I'll give a try here soon but it doesn't change the fact that the u-joint is larger and most likely the problem if not at least a significant part of the problem. I was told by a ex-military mechanic that there are a few different versions of the axles and that they aren't all the same and have some small differences. The differences only mattered at the detailed rebuild level but they shipped back out as a whole axle unit with the same part #. Dunno if that is true or not but don't know why he'd make it up.

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So are you running the Ouverson ujoints as well as their shafts?

And the attachments won't open.

rancherrob

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, Ouverson U-joints. Bought the shafts pre-assembled as a "plug and play" complete kit.

blackrock

Hmmm this is odd never sen anything like this before. The seal puck depth is the same on both sides? housing didnt have a burr or anything old the seal retain from being seated properly? just thinking outloud

welldigger

Interesting. So I assume you called and talked to Randy Ouverson about the problem right? Does this mean there are different size U-joints and cases out there? I thought they were all the same.
There is a difference depending on the inner seal retainer you have. The old c.v. style axles had a thicker retainer than the newer u-joint style retainer. However, he definitely has the u-joint retainer.

In fact, it appears he has the updated high performance seals I run in my truck. Those come assembled with the u-joint type retainer.

M-1028

Never had a problem out of mine, I used stock u joints and they went together perfect. I did have the custom off road seals, not sure if there is a difference.

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is odd, I ran the same shafts in my mud truck for a year of wheelin before I upgraded to the 2" shafts and never saw any wear marks like that.

rancherrob

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes they are the upgraded performance seals. I will double check that the seal is set as deep as possible.
No burrs until after a lot of rubbing. Now there are a few on the spindle.
Yes, these axles don't come with a shoulder that would be needed to hold a thrust washer. I was told they weren't necessary. However, I wonder if I would have had this problem if there were thrust washers. Though it probably would still be a problem. If there is a way something can go wrong, it will happen to me :)

welldigger

Thrust washers would have made the shaft even tighter in that knuckle. I bet they deleted the thrust washers to make room for the larger shafts and u joints.

They only thing I can think of is the seal not being seated far enough. Either that or the retainer is out of spec. Which is possible. A local shop sells those seals and I hand inspect each one I buy. Some of them have looked kinda rough with sloppy machine work. Others appear excellent. Guess it depends on what day of the week it was made on.