• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

over-the-wheel-well tool box in M1009?

TonkaDriver

First time poster...

I would like to add some lockable storage to my M1009 for long guns. A "pork chop," over-the-wheel-well style is what I was looking for, to go on the driver's side, preferably with the door on the end right up against the tailgate. Something like this:
toolbox.png
This is the "Lund Fender Well Tool Box" from Cabela's, but I'm concerned it's a little too big. Despite extensive searching, I haven't seen anybody that's put a pickup box inside an SUV like this (should that tell me it doesn't work well?!?).

So, has anyone tried something like this? How did it work out? (The bracket welded behind the wheel well can stay or go, and I don't have rear seat armrests.)

PS This community of fellow tinkerers has been a great help to me in working on my vehicle. The amount of knowledgeable advise here is impressive. Thanks!

GPrez

There isn't a whole lot of room between the wheel well and tailgate on the 1009. Make sure you measure that distance and make sure it will fit in there. I have a 60" one of those in my 1028 and it would not fit between the wheel well and tailgate. I had to put the deep end towards the cab. It actually worked out better for me in the long run.

Drock

I was thinking about getting one of those for my m1028 but couldn't find one for a reasonable price. So as dumb luck would have it I had ah pair of 30mm ammo boxes in my garage I was going to weld to my trailer that ended up fitting perfect behind the wheel wells. Not sure if you'd have the room in your m1009 but I can measure if your interested.Ammo can box1.jpg

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found a plastic one on craigslist for cheap and tried to make it work, but it didn't. I tried it on the driver's side on top of the jerry can bracket-nope. Cut the jerry can bracket off the floor- still nope. Ended up selling on cl for about $10 more than I paid for it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks