• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Overdrive for a Deuce???

JimTheScot989

OK, so I have a mind which wanders aimlessly once in a while. But, has anybody successfully installed an add-on overdrive onto a Deuce to get highway transport speeds, like 65 mph?? I've seen Waterloo's xmission mods. I'm asking about an add-on in the drive train.

Stalwart

Bigger tires seems like the best bang for the buck. I doubt the engine makes enough excess horsepower to warrant a proper overdrive unit.

gungearz

Yes.... I have but it would probably cost more to make a prototype with machining and molds then what a fleet of deuces cost. Then after that.... You will probably have to sell 1000 units to get close to being on track financially again. I figured if I wanted more speed and comfort. It would be cheaper to buy brand new luxury 4X4.

eagle4g63

With my 395's I am cruising on the highway at 60 and can push 63-64......and that is running almost straight wmo.......I would agree that the bigger tires are the way to go....sometimes power just isn't there to keep it above 60 if you have head wind or much of an incline.

JimTheScot989

Thank you guys for your considerations. I thought about modifying the Deuce (which includes larger diameter tires) but that permanently puts the vehicle into that HP / speed/ power range, which permanently alters its off-road & heavy characteristics, basically making it a weak runner of its former self. Same with the transmission mod. So I'm looking for the "add-in" OD which used to be popular in the 60's. Anybody remember them?

Last edited:

Heath_h49008

I think Gear Vendors still has one for RVs that would do what you want.

Worth the expense and hassle? Not to me.

To each their own, but nobody here has gone down this road after doing the research IIRC.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Thank you guys for your considerations. I thought about modifying the Deuce (which includes larger diameter tires) but that permanently puts the vehicle into that HP / speed/ power range, which permanently alters its off-road & heavy characteristics, basically making it a weak runner of its former self. Same with the transmission mod. So I'm looking for the "add-in" OD which used to be popular in the 60's. Anybody remember them?
Yeah, a brownie box. Called that cause they were made by Brown-lipe. They don't work with out a LOT of work, and the ones I know that were installed, lost the 6x6 feature. The link I provided is THE ONLY option that does not have any downfall, other than being a steep 5th. BUT you are wanting an add-on ratio, which will have the same issues as a taller 5th.

As said, its been done, feel free to look for it.

plym49

Some day when one of the world's billionaires comes to his or her senses and adopts me, the first thing I'll do is commission a six-speed Deuce transmission. The stock ratios are fine. All we need is one more gear after fifth.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor

this is simply not true. there is NO downside to the trans mod that i am aware of. it only changes the now somewhat useless 5th into what is in effect a real od. less money than tires and wheels, easy to install.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks