• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

overdrive of some sort for bobbed m35a2 deuce

Jordankier

so after hours of searching for an answer I’ve come up short. I have a bobbed m35a2 on 395/85r20 mrap wheels. I have my fuel turned up some but not all the way. I don’t use the truck for more than what you’d use a pickup truck for. I want to be able to drive the truck at 60 without the motor screaming to the moon. I know people keep saying the deuce isn’t meant for speed so leave it but I don’t plan on pushing it past 60 I just want to keep the rpm in a much more conservative range for long hauls since I’ve gained much more power getting rid of an axle and 6 tires. My question is what’s my best bet for overdrive? Read a few posts about an overdrive gear for the spicer 3053 trans but cannot find someone who actually makes it. There is also 4.90:1 gears from overuson for 1200 a set. Seems like those would be a little high for the 395s. I just had a brand new driveshaft made so I’d like to stay away from an external overdrive unit mounted aft the transfer case. Any suggestions would be great!

Attachments

Jordankier

As I stated above, I’m not looking to go faster. I’m looking to reduce engine speed at cruise speed. I’ve driven the truck for 3 hours straight at 60-65mph no problems just straining the rpm limit of the motor. I have a rear pinion brake installed for somewhat emergency stopping installed with a separate reservoir on a hand lever. Ultimately I want to run the engine at 1500-1800 rpms at 55 mph.

davidb56

change both ring/pinions. I heard its about 1800$ each, but you only have 2, and you don't use the truck for real work. Or you can have a machine shop rebuild your transmission and fabricate a higher overdrive.

fleetmech

Sad to say, but I dont think there are any options other than the ones you already mentioned.

The old Waterloo overdrive kits are gone now, so you're out of luck there unless you can get one secondhand, which is unlikely.

Regearing axles is expensive, invasive, and comes with plenty of downfalls. Going up to 4:90 or similar will make starting in low range an absolute must, put a lot of strain on the gearbox and clutch, and probably not play too well with a not very powerful engine. I can imagine that any hills would be miserable, you'd be down into 4th or less in no time, killing any speed you'd been making.

My vote, if any, is for an external overdrive unit, presuming GearVendors or whomever, makes one strong enough. And they might, ive heard of them surviving well in both drag cars and high power pickup towing, but I haven't even looked at them in years. I kinda doubt they would make any kit for, or warranty for, what is effectively medium duty use but I guess it doesn't hurt to ask. You would need to alter that driveshaft, and probably rig up a pretty hefty 24-12 voltage reducer to run it, but thats not a big deal.

You could of course go to a truck boneyard and find an old overdrive equipped Spicer 'brownie' auxiliary transmission...! The worlds first triple stick deuce!

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've put about 80 hours at ~60 mph on my deuce. Some people say to baby them, but I feel if it's made for it, to go for it. I don't get anywhere near the red line. I like being able to go 60, but honestly it sometimes takes an awful long time to get there and if there's a hill, well, I'm just resigned about it. You really just need to come to terms with it, or come to terms with spending a lot of $ to go faster.

Maybe look at ways to make driving it more comfortable instead, like power steering and automatic transmission. Sound proof the cab, put an environmental control system in, install a mini drawer fridge where the glove box is, hang a 22" monitor from the ceiling, install a sound system, disco ball, upgrade the seat, etc...

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
At the current time, there is no good solution to the issue.

The Waterloo overdrives are discontinued. You've already done the taller tires. A very few people have added overdrive boxes between the transfer and rear axle, but looking at the pictures makes me think the driveshaft angles would be an issue.

There is no manual transmission with more overdrive that anyone has successfully put in an M44 series truck. I've been here for 15 years and seen a thousand threads "What about this gearbox?" and no one has ever done it.

My non-bobbed M35A2 will go about 60 now that it has 11:00 G177s and because I was too cheap to buy an overdrive when they were available, I've accepted that my speed and rpms are what they are.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks