• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Overheating for the third time

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Every time I install a new gauge, I learn something about the deuce, don't be afraid to get actual boost and EGT numbers, plenty of references on this site. I even measured the fuel specific gravity at one time, lots of fun. :)

littlebob

In reference to my earlier post on this, I had the radiator rodded out and it still overheated after idling a while(10-15min) I changed the thermostat and it seems to be doing OK at idle.
I still have a a few more months before I actually put mine back on the road and see what it does there. I do feel better knowing that those things have already been done and plan on putting a coolant filter on it once I get it on the road.
littlebob

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thing is that the multi will probably never get hot enough at idle to even come close to open the thermostat.
I have a radiator cover (custom plywood) permanently installed to help keep the temp up and have removed it for some heavy hauls only.

When replacing some radiator hoses on the xm757 engine (also a multifuel), it was interesting to see how prestine the inside surfaces were on the radiator side of the thermostat, Speaking with some of the people who served at Ft Sill, where these trucks were used, I was told that they mostly just sat at idle (=thermostat clsoed)....

rockman

I ran my truck on sunday in TN with temps around 50 with the cover down on the arctic blanket and the temp never got above 180. Sounds like something is amiss.

Bill

WOR

Attachments

Rolling_Eudaimonia

Well I wouldn't run my truck 1 gallon low. For several reasons: one being that this engine uses coolant to reduce temperate of the charged air from turbo and two it is also the primary means of cooling the oil as well. If you reduce the volume of water in your system you increase the operating temperature. So since the coolant isn't just operating in the engine block itself, it also cools the incoming charged air, and oil as well it is very critical to maintain the coolant at the proper levels.

Also the oil is being used to cool the turbo, so if you have less coolant in the system that means when the oil reaches the oil cooler it will increase the overall temperature of system.

Things I would do:
One change the oil, new oil like Rottella T is a good choice. It will provide better protection against heat and transfer heat better in the oil Cooler.
Two, I would make sure the Coolant is both properly mixed for the ambient air temps I would be likely to operate in and secondly at the correct levels.
Three, check the thermostat yours might be shut off a bit.
Four, make sure all of the truck's panels are in the correct place the air is designed to flow in a specific manner if it doesn't the truck's temp can rise.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks