• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Overkill Customs

eldgenb

I have acquired a M920 as a business recovery/representation of my work. This is a photoshop of my idea. I used Floridianson's picture of his truck as a starting point(hope you don't mind). I have no use for this as a tractor and with a 55k combined rear axles I don't need even close to that much capacity so air ride singled out and bobbed she will be. The crew cab will be pretty straight forward and the rear winch will be relocated to the front bumper and a tubular bumper will replace the current front one. I am looking for any feedback, bring it on!!

Attachments

Last edited:

eldgenb

thanks guys, I have most of the Mods figured out or have done them in the past on different rigs. The crew cab would be new to me. I have done sheet metal work in the past and to do this I would need some new tools (awe darn) but I have some conflicting info. One page I read said that the cabs are aluminum but looking at some GL pics with rust tells me they are steel. Are they a mix of metals or are they all steel?:driver:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I would consider using a commercial crew cab and transplant it instead of trying to mod the exisiting cab.

Maybe an International or the like. Or a Pete or KW with a big studio sleeper.

You may be able to buy a "glider kit cab" instead of hunting a used one.

I put a lot on miles on M915's and M916's...the creature comforts leave a lot to be desired.

eldgenb

cab selection

I would consider using a commercial crew cab and transplant it instead of trying to mod the exisiting cab.

Maybe an International or the like. Or a Pete or KW with a big studio sleeper.

You may be able to buy a "glider kit cab" instead of hunting a used one.

I put a lot on miles on M915's and M916's...the creature comforts leave a lot to be desired.

I would normally agree but on a certain auction in a certain state there are a lot of cabs coming up for auction and I was looking at it as a opportunity to build something unique for minimal dough. Finding a commercial crew cab would cost me a ton in comparison not to mention fitting the power train under an international or something.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The cabs are totally steel. Also, the doors are parallel with the axis of the truck when viewed from above. That should aid in the grafting.

eldgenb

The cabs are totally steel. Also, the doors are parallel with the axis of the truck when viewed from above. That should aid in the grafting.
do you know if the roof is ribbed or is it flat steel? that would tell me if I needed one cab or two.
thanks.

Trango

So the issue with the commercial cab is that, with the commercial cab, you will also be paying road tax and insurance to match the commercial cab. That's one reason I'm staying with military sheetmetal on my new project. The comfort may be tougher to achieve, but I can life with that for several hundred dollars' savings over the course of each year.

eldgenb

So the issue with the commercial cab is that, with the commercial cab, you will also be paying road tax and insurance to match the commercial cab. That's one reason I'm staying with military sheetmetal on my new project. The comfort may be tougher to achieve, but I can life with that for several hundred dollars' savings over the course of each year.
good point, title follows the cab.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So you useing my pic and I guess you don't want me scrapping the outher 920 cab I have eather right. LOL Does look good. :mrgreen:

Last edited:

eldgenb

So you useing my pic and I guess you don't want me scrapping the outher 920 cab I have eather right. LOL Does look good. :mrgreen:
heck no, if you can make my vision your reality please do. This thing is I have a knuckle boom that I have considered putting on my 920 as well and I do not want to shorted the bed anymore than it is so its either the crew cab or knuckle boom.. I have a feeling the knuckle boom will win for now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks