• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Owning and maintaining a deuce

V8srfun

I am fairly new to the community compared to many that frequent here but Have been around for a couple years. I am interested to hear what your specific maintenance route looks like. How do you decide if something needs attention and what are you willing to accept.
If you were to maintain your deuce to 100% condition it would leave even the most financially sound individual with a empty bank account.

I look at fluids and filters as items you need to be able to maintain if they are to expensive for you it may not be a appropriate time to get in the mv hobby

Wheel seals and axle boots are safety items and if you do not maintain them you should NOT put your truck on the road but home/farm use is acceptable.

Brake service and wheel cylinder inspection is 100% required for street use at least every 24 months.

The rest of the truck I do my best to regularly inspect and monitor condition. If something is unsafe or can cause further damage it needs addressed immediately. But if it is not going to pose a threat to someone’s health or well being or cost me more to fix it later I will tend to let it go or tend to it when it is convenient.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How I generally deal with a new to me truck is to bring all parts of the truck up to a KNOWN point! I replace all lubricants and fluids, including diffs, transfer case and transmission. Replace all coolant draining the block also. All filters will be replaced obviously including all fuel, oil filters and coolant filters if it has them. Then get the TMs and maintenance schedules for the truck and start at one end and work your way to the other, this includes greasing any and all zerks etc. Get a good bottle jack and lift each axle and hand rotate the wheels and listen and feel how the bearings feel, look for any signs of gear oil/brake fluid residue on each axle/wheel assembly. The list in the book is pretty comprehensive but when you are completed THEN you know exactly where your truck is at from the maintenance standpoint. The inspection/maintenance schedule is in the book from that point on!
Good luck and I do mean enjoy!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks