• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

P.T.O Removal on M35

hammerdown

Hi people I'm looking to remove the PTO on my
M35 as it's leaking and it's not connected to nothing
so might as well come off.
Question is. Is this a easy job or is there much involved
plus is there a blanking plate to replace this???

AZDeuce

Yes there is a plate to close off the hole left buy the PTO, you should use a gasket also. I just installed one, and then removed/re-installed it the following weekend to add another gasket for proper shims. It's not too hard, should take about an hour, give or take, once you've drained the oil. You will need a 9/16" open/box end wrench to get to all the nuts.

Once the PTO is unbolted it will slide off the studs, and with a little wiggling will come straight down and out. You will need to remove the studs, and install the cover plate/gasket with the proper bolts (make sure they're not too long). I used some permatex gasket sealer in a black tube on the gaskets, and there have been no leaks yet.

Hope this helped.

shannondeese

The same as above. I just did the same thing last weekend. I am removing my winch to put in a better one that's not PTO driven. It took about 20 minutes to pull the PTO and put the cover on.

shannondeese

I'm adding a Milemarker 24V 18.5 winch. I use my winch very hard on a regular basis so I wanted a smaller "dimensionally" winch with a larger pulling capacity.

AZDeuce

Hammerdown:

No, that looks like the end plate off of the winch itself. The plate you are looking for is rectangle with one bolt hole on the top and bottom, and two bolt holes on both sides, 6 holes altogether.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hammerdown, you already have the cover and bolts! There is an inspection cover on the side of the PTO that can be removed and bolted to the side of the transmission with a gasket. Once complete, put the PTO in the classifieds, many members looking for them. Do you also have the control lever that goes in the dash? What model truck do you have?

hammerdown

Well my truck is a M35a1 if any help?? it may of had a winch at some point but not now..

As for the last post wanting the PTO your welcome to it.

I will find out more so about the shipping to the states when i got it off??
so standby Josh???

Josh

Sure the zip code here is 97203. Also when ya yank it any chance of a picture, last one i went to buy of an older deuce turned out to be the wrong one.

jondale

Steel Soldiers Supporter
when removing the PTO start on the 3/8'' nut's up top first they are harder to get off.

On a PTO cover plate you might try a truck shop they have them laying around most of the time.

hammerdown

Either im going blind or i cant see where this cover plate is on the pto i can use
to blank off the hole left by the PTO..???

Has anyone got any pics to show me this????;-);-);-)

The winch handle is down the left side of the drivers seat tucked at the back of the cab,,if this
helps to regonise what PTO winch this is..

Last edited:

AceHigh

Yours might be missing. If you have the PTO off the truck and can see from one side to the other you do not have the cover. On the transmission side of the PTO is a flange with 6 holes the studs mount into. Directly opposite that is a flat flange the cover mounts onto, also with matching holes for the short bolts.

Edited to add: You must have the cover! In your original post you stated:

Hi people I'm looking to remove the PTO on my
M35 as it's leaking and it's not connected to nothing
so might as well come off.
Question is. Is this a easy job or is there much involved
plus is there a blanking plate to replace this???
If it was on the transmission in the first place it had to have a cover or the fluid would just pour out on the ground.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks