• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

P400 motor vs 6500 Optimizer in M1009

85CUCVtom

So I've been thinking about doing a motor swap in the next couple years. I'm just kicking ideas around now and I really like the idea of these two motors. I can't seem to find a good comparison between the two. I guess the P400 is the better of the two. Another question I have is how would the oil pan work with the front axle in a CUCV? Do they share engine mounts with the 6.2L/6.5L or would i have to fab and weld in new mounts?

Throw out some opinions and let me know what you think. Has anybody done a swap with either of these two motors?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do a little research in the CUCV forum from member Stonepicker1. He has done the swap and covered it on here if I recall correctly.

85CUCVtom

Do a little research in the CUCV forum from member Stonepicker1. He has done the swap and covered it on here if I recall correctly.
I've seen his build thread before. He did a nice job on that motor. That was a 1999 I believe. I'm thinking of putting one in my 1984 M1009. I couldn't find much on putting a P400 in the older trucks.

rsh4364

I also kicked this idea around P400 250hp,and 550 ft lbs of torque would move a 1009 down the road nicely, check out leroy diesel.Moroso.offers a pan for 88 and up 4 wd.

85CUCVtom

I also kicked this idea around P400 250hp,and 550 ft lbs of torque would move a 1009 down the road nicely, check out leroy diesel.Moroso.offers a pan for 88 and up 4 wd.
I literally just say that about 10 minutes ago on Leroy Diesels website. Looks intriguing.