• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PA bobbed deuces

paulfarber

This is for the bobbed deuces that live in the hills and snow.

I am considering bobbing my 66 wo/w

My main concerns:

Will the loss of the read axle reduce poor weather (aka snow) performance?

With larger tires (up to and including 395s) how bad will I feel it on the hills? I live in the Appalachian Mts and there are hills, nay, mountains all over the **** place.

I believe 395s might not be a realistic choice.. but what are the next size or two larger that I can use to fill up the wheel wells that are CHEAP.

I am perfectly happy with stock tires, but more meat on the axles really makes the bobbers pop.

Thanks.

oddshot

This is for the bobbed deuces that live in the hills and snow.

I am considering bobbing my 66 wo/w

My main concerns:

Will the loss of the read axle reduce poor weather (aka snow) performance?

I am perfectly happy with stock tires, but more meat on the axles really makes the bobbers pop.

Thanks.
Its a valid concern. I'm in the hills of NoGa, not too far from the start of the Appalachian Trail. the back roads down here have a bout the same grade and switch backs that you see in Pennsy and West Virginia.

You may have read my posting about how quick mine came around on a sharp right turn at the bottom of a hill ... just after a rain that left the roads wet ... but not washed.

Now ... I WAS on the brakes, slowing for the right hander ...and I was going down hill ... so all the weight was pitched forward and the rear got light.

but the rear came around fast and hard ... I didn't have much time to react.

For the record I'm on GOOD 9.00X20 Military tires, with air around 55PSI. the brakes are new, and freshly bled.

I find myself wondering if I should keep a set of hubs so I can go dualies in the rear in the winter ... and single it (with flipped hubs) out for the rest of the year.

This would allow me to put a little more rubber on the road. I'm thinking the extra weight in the back wouldn't hurt neither.

I got about 3 sets of good 900X20 tires and I don't see myself switching over to another size until I wear these out.

I know you are talking about bigger tires ... this just gives you something else to think on.

oddshot

paulfarber

I really don't like NDTs becuase they have no wet weather traction.

I know there are other 9.0x20's with civvy tread, but the 395s also have much better tread design than NDTs.

I would like to stay with cheaper used tires that are readily available.. but also need to keep the final ration at a sane level due to the hills.

Sephirothq

How about getting some of the 14.5 R20 that the M35A3 came with? They are still around an 11.00 x20 size.

Or if you are looking for something a bit cheaper get some commercial truck tires from over at EZ-Pull. They had a pile of 10:00 X 20 's when i was there last, don't know if they are still there or not.

mudguppy

... I find myself wondering if I should keep a set of hubs so I can go dualies in the rear in the winter ... and single it (with flipped hubs) out for the rest of the year. ...
i think you'll find that the opposite is true. speaking to folks that own dually pickups as daily drivers (me included) will tell you that an unladen dually has horrifically bad traction when it's wet, snow, or icy. heel, i've been stuck in my own yard w/ my 2wd dually due to the grass being wet from morning dew. not saying that i would not have been if it were SRW, but i know that duals are bad in inclement weather.

however, 'front heavy' + 'short wheel base' is a bad combo for any inclement weather driving scenario.