• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PA - Fall 2013 Rausch Creek Steel Soldiers Rally

shenkmen

shenk,

Because of the race last April, we were only able to do the East side of the road, which costs extra for those driving. Might want to do the west side this time, it has lots more acreage anyways to explore. There are also some green trails that we don't often hit on the West side, some who like a challenge might like doing those again. They are green, and we got the large trucks down them before, there is just a lot of twists and turns and rocks to make it interesting.

Also, one idea I had since April was: we always go out in a gigantic group, big trucks and small trucks together, and it's great but tends to block an entire trail for everyone else out there not in our group. Some other wheelers complained last time that "those military trucks" were taking up the whole trail and blocking it for everyone. Perhaps we should think about, instead of 1 HUGE group, break apart into smaller groups. We don't need to do it all the time, but it's just an idea.
Agree on everything. We should split up into at least two groups and run the west side as we normally do.

We need to designate a lead vehicle to navigate for each group. Preferably folks who are familiar with the park.

Funny part is I figure "those military trucks" will get blamed twice as much! :)

Splitting up will cut down on the accordion effect and keep us moving better.

PaFarmer and you are good leads. Anybody else want to volunteer?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Funny part is I figure "those military trucks" will get blamed twice as much! :)
Ironic thing is, we're the only ones that get filmed extensively by other park-goers when we show up! But yes, we do get twice the blame due to our size, and the Jeepers can't get by us.

jsonners

That sounds great.... This is my first time going to a rally. What should we expect as far as trail intensity? Also do people come and go on/off the trails back to the campground? Or once people head out they are gone for the day?

Thanks guys

Jason

shenkmen

That sounds great.... This is my first time going to a rally. What should we expect as far as trail intensity? Also do people come and go on/off the trails back to the campground? Or once people head out they are gone for the day?

Thanks guys

Jason
We stick to the easier trails. Check out videos and pics from the prior threads and the maps on the first post of this thread. For the most part any feats of strength we run into has a bypass (mud pit, hill climbs, ruts). You are free to roam as long as you have at least one other vehicle with you.

We stay out for the day so pack a lunch or slap some burritos on your manifold.

shenkmen

We stick to the easier trails. Check out videos and pics from the prior threads and the maps on the first post of this thread. For the most part any feats of strength we run into has a bypass (mud pit, hill climbs, ruts). You are free to roam as long as you have at least one other vehicle with you.

We stay out for the day so pack a lunch or slap some burritos on your manifold.
Also, this will be my sixth time. I've only seen one vehicle have to get towed back. Kassim likes to wreck his stuff.

Kassim, where are you?!?!

PaFarmer

My two cents is we should stick together. I am happy to lead. The problem is when we stop to BS on the trail. It is a bitch to get around vehicles left on the trail. We should lay out a map and agree on what we want to run, then run it. There are not many places on the trail that we can all park off the trail.

Jeeps have no trouble getting off the trail when they have a breakdown in the group or want to Stop and BS. It is common trail etiquette and we have not all been good about it in the past.

The 9:30 departure time is good. I plan on getting up Friday evening. There is plenty to run on the north, west and south properties. We can run a lot of good stuff and let folks run the bypasses if they want.

Corvette1974

I'd definitely like to explore the territory we weren't able to last spring. I think we should do unexplored course first then do the course we did last time.

On the second day (Sunday), a few of us also did the other course, I don't remember which it was but it was significantly more difficult consisting of mainly rocky terrain. Definitely more challenging but with a much higher chance of damage. I don't want to replace another cab corner....:-D I wouldn't suggest that course for the whole group.

I could be getting the different areas confused but that's just my .02

Will

Last edited:

shenkmen

I'd definitely like to explore the territory we weren't able to last spring. I think we should do unexplored course first then do the course we did last time.

On the second day (Sunday), a few of us also did the other course, I don't remember which it was but it was significantly more difficult consisting of mainly rocky terrain. Definitely more challenging but with a much higher chance of damage. I don't want to replace another cab corner....:-D I wouldn't suggest that course for the whole group.

I could be getting the different areas confused but that's just my .02

Will
We were forced to run the Northeast property last time because of the race. We normally run the east, west and south properties. We'll have at least one group led by pafarmer running these three properties on Saturday.

Feel free to take a group to the north east property. That would be a good way to split us up.

PaFarmer

In the past they have required folks to have seat belts for all passengers. One group needed to go to the junkyard for seat belts. Safety may not be first, but it is a factor. Something to consider.

There is an additional charge of $10 to run the northeast property, not a big deal either way.

I am interested to hear what folks want to run. We have taken deuces down every trail on which they fit, at one point or another. 109s and 923s take even more room, but we have had plenty of them out as well.

SgtDave12

I'm planning on going out with my M923A1 and M109A3 and I have two more M923A2s that will be with my group leaving NJ and heading for Rausch Friday afternoon. I have approximately eight people going so far. Anyone know what time everyone is going out on Saturday morning?

shenkmen

I'm planning on going out with my M923A1 and M109A3 and I have two more M923A2s that will be with my group leaving NJ and heading for Rausch Friday afternoon. I have approximately eight people going so far. Anyone know what time everyone is going out on Saturday morning?
Welcome aboard! 9:30 AM.

PaFarmer

9:30 Saturday AM we roll out if the parking lot and onto the trails. SgtDave that is a nice collection of vehicles you have and a good convoy you will have coming.

For the folks staying over Friday, it sucks waiting for stragglers coming in late Saturday. If there is a real demand, we could plan to meet up over lunch either in the parking lot or a spot like lake christy or the met tower on S trail.

Corvette1974

We were forced to run the Northeast property last time because of the race. We normally run the east, west and south properties. We'll have at least one group led by pafarmer running these three properties on Saturday.

Feel free to take a group to the north east property. That would be a good way to split us up.
9:30 Saturday AM we roll out if the parking lot and onto the trails. SgtDave that is a nice collection of vehicles you have and a good convoy you will have coming.

For the folks staying over Friday, it sucks waiting for stragglers coming in late Saturday. If there is a real demand, we could plan to meet up over lunch either in the parking lot or a spot like lake christy or the met tower on S trail.
In the past they have required folks to have seat belts for all passengers. One group needed to go to the junkyard for seat belts. Safety may not be first, but it is a factor. Something to consider.

There is an additional charge of $10 to run the northeast property, not a big deal either way.

I am interested to hear what folks want to run. We have taken deuces down every trail on which they fit, at one point or another. 109s and 923s take even more room, but we have had plenty of them out as well.
Are there any events the weekend we're going? I'm game for anything we do, I'm just gonna go with the group, wherever it goes. The meeting idea worked well last time if need be. Haha I just need to remember food this time....

Will

shenkmen

Meet on the trail would be best. Coming back to camp will kill too much time. We can swap phone numbers via PM to facilitate this.