• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Paging Dr Ronmar, etc

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
MASS MEDIA DISGUISE CORRUPTION ! MY MENTAL DISEASE CONTROLLER ! MY MOTHER DRIVES CHEVROLET ! AND this ones for you 3rd MOST MOTHERS DESPISE CORPUS ! MAD MOTHERS DENOUNCE CORPUS ! MAN MAKES DAUGHTER COLAPSE ! MAN MAKES DAUGHTER CORRUPT !

Third From Texas

I would monitor the supply voltage to the MMDC using both power and ground from it's harness for my gauge. If that looks normal I would scope the power (+7v) and data lines to the instruments and see what I could discern from that.

The gauges you note are "blinking out" have no connections except to the MMDC itself (2001A - Instrument Data, 2002A - Instrument Power +7v, 3004A - Instrument Ground) and a single wire from the lighting circuits for illumination (1908A - Light +12v).

The only possibilities I see are:

1. Low/dirty power or poor ground to the MMDC = bad data being fed to the instrument bus.

2. Some kind of interference on the J1587 data bus. MMDC and CTIS are both on this bus.

3. MMDC itself has problems - can't see how this would relate to the CTIS but they are near enough - could the harness being plugged in or not change the strain on the MMDC connectors?
Awesome stuff. At least I have a place to start now.

Thanks !

Ronmar

What General Disorder said…. I suspect it is interfering with the data bus…. If it works fine without it connected, that is a likely scenario. Either it is the issue, or there is a buss issue and CTIS is the straw breaking the camels back…

Sadly 5 solids is an internal fault, so it definitely has an issue. I have not heard of anyone recovering/restoring one, so you will need to source another one…

Third From Texas

What General Disorder said…. I suspect it is interfering with the data bus…. If it works fine without it connected, that is a likely scenario. Either it is the issue, or there is a buss issue and CTIS is the straw breaking the camels back…

Sadly 5 solids is an internal fault, so it definitely has an issue. I have not heard of anyone recovering/restoring one, so you will need to source another one…
Rgr all.

If it's the controller I'm likely going to go with a manual control or possibly an Arduino-based solution. The OEM controllers simply don't seem to last (this one didn't have 10K miles on it yet). Seems most every truck has had issue with them at some point so I wouldn't really be interested in replacing mine with another. I'd maybe be willing to pay $50 for NOS if I stumbled across one but I think I'd rather have a more rugged solution....

Third From Texas

I knew I'd read a similar problem somewhere...

Third From Texas

Here's his solution. This is exactly my situation to the letter...

Last edited:

Ronmar

Here's his solution. This is exactly my situation to the letter...

Except the only thing under the pax dash with 1/4” lines is the fan control solenoid valve… dont see a leak there causing CTIS issues…

i should add that the A1R appears to have added a pressure reg in there somewhere to limit air pressure to the fan control, but still don't see a connection to the issue he was experiencing…

Last edited:

Third From Texas

i should add that the A1R appears to have added a pressure reg in there somewhere to limit air pressure to the fan control, but still don't see a connection to the issue he was experiencing…
Yeah, my air horn pulls from the fan supply. And when the fan is on, the horn won't work (which happens a LOT at the beach, lol).

So yeah, I need to fix that too....

:)

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, my air horn pulls from the fan supply. And when the fan is on, the horn won't work (which happens a LOT at the beach, lol).

So yeah, I need to fix that too....

:)
On my truck the front air tank had nothing connected to the center port at the back of the tank - just a 1/2 NPT brass allen plug. I plumbed my air horn solenoid to this port to avoid unnecessary changes to the air system and unwanted consequences. It's also plumbed with 3/8 OD tubing so the horn is LOUD AF. 125 db.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks