• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Paint/Body work

aceventura2225

I have a 1985 chevy m1008. It has rusted out cab corners, banged up tailgate, hood needs to be sanded and repainted, need passenger side door and mirror. Anyways, i will be doing the body work myself. After i get the body work done, how can i go about getting the new panels and parts repainted to match the existing paint? if anybody out there did a project like this before, let me know. thanks.

rod

Unless the paint on the existing M1008 is new or almost new you will never be able to match the existing paint. The paint used on M1008 & M1009s fade a great deal. Suggestions would be to make the repairs and get the truck in the running order that you want and do a total repaint when you are satisified with the body and mechanical condition.

appellandscaping

i just got my truck finished about 3 months ago, and had to do the same things for the paint my dad orders it from somwhere ill find out just repaint everything from in to out its alot of work but its worth it. and for some parts go to lmc.com order a catalog for your year truck they have good deals.

ida34

The carc is known for fading. The black is almost impossible to match with new paint. The brown and green weather better but still would look wrong if new paint were up against old.

Last edited:

HAWKMAN

You are probably going to find that once you paint one part you will start painting everything else and seeing how nice it looks will end up painting the whole truck. You will also know the good feeling of accomplisment attanded by doing this. :-D:-D

ONTOS66

From your description it sounds like you'll be doing some sanding, and priming with rustoleum or some such. Look through some of the threads in the painting section of the forum. There are several manuals in the resource section on painting and the camouflage patterns. Such as TB 43-0242 which you can download.

You'll want to scuff up all the old paint and then clean it so the new stuff will adhere better. Check the threads in the painting and body work for a lot of good tips.

If you don't want to try the camo look, then a straight carc green would be fine - or go with desert tan assuming that you want to keep the military appearance of the vehicle.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rapco has the 383 green, brown and flat black in aerosol cans. All you have to do is scuff the paint and spray. That is the easiest and best looking way to do it without many tools. For panels, i'd order from Goodmark Industries. They are relatively cheap and have quality panels. There may be some cheaper but you will probably spend so much time tweaking the others to fit, it isn't worth it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks