• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

paint color question (SWA-circa 1990)

bansil

Ok,
I'm at the stage of selling everything and scraping crap to make room for my...ugh.."our" first duece.
I have searched and read for ever (well working on it) and am at the "stupid" question stage of being a newbie on forum.
People ask why in ---- are you asking this.
So...
What is the paint code or mixture for the color we (E4 below in my unit) called "wolf P---- Pink"?

Our vehicles were woodland camo when they arrived in port fall of 90.
We painted them in the desert a tan...it looked good!!(or so we thought) one of our 4th plt tanks was in the rear broken.
When she came back to the AA we(5 of us) had to paint it...remember when you asked yourself "why do they call the dust brush in your toolbag a paintbrush"
So we pulled the freshly painted tank back on line.
Holy crap!! Everything else was PINKISH...the sun faded all vehicles to pink after a week or so.
This vehicle faded also.
What was this TAN?????

bansil

Ok have searched...seen comments as far back as 07 of the paint being"686"...I have seen old dueces (this era withoriginal paint) and "newer" dueces painted this desert tan.
To me its 2 diff. Colors.
I know when we got our new tanks before we crossed "the border" they were a different color than what "we" painted in country "before" the war.....so I believe the "new" tanks we got were 686...what was the "early color"?.... was it a fluke?....I like that color

Pawnshop

The Avroe brand CARC turns pink in the sun. A week seems quick, perhaps it was not mixed properly.

I have a good friend who was in a similar situation in 1990, they had 30 days to paint EVERY vehicle in the unit tan, everyone had to do a turn on the flight line painting with whatever they could find: brooms, rags, t-shirts, whatever. The got it done, he said they were not pretty, but they WERE tan!

oddshot

Hey bud! Welcome aboard.

Did you do a search of both this thread ... and down in the paint and bodywork section:

Paint and Bodywork - Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite

If memory serves me correctly I've seen something about some military paint turning pink someplace ... I just can't remember where.

BTW ... this place is like a HUGE library ... when ever you have a question ... do a search on this thread ... but also over at the hot-rodding thread.

LOTS of good information ...

Have you bought a Deuce yet ... or still in the lookin' and buyin' stage?

oddshot

bansil

Havent got one yet it will be late spring/early summer probably.
I have to get rid of several more "projects" or yard ornaments:p

Our plan is to buy a deuce and go 1990 with it, use it for rallys and general shows/reinactments to keep history active....

We will then use it to aid in recovery of another one to bob for the wife.

Thank you for info.

I did search and found lots of reference to 686; never even saw paint section its so far down the list until last night

And a "week" was actually 2 at the most til the other tank got back from sqd maint.
It needed new pack or tranny dont remember now

Thank you for info.

bansil

Thankyou for posting those,I knew I wasn"t 100% crazy:cookoo:..forgot how pink it ended up tho' lol.....I think the 686 is looking good

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks