• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

*(PAINT DONE PICS)*Looks like I am gonna be a proud CUCV OWN

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats on your new ride! Looks like a great price for a solid CUCV. All it needs is the camo job, a radio set, and a back seat, and you're set.

CCATLETT1984

Its a m1009. looks to be in great shape.

just do a oil/filter change and you should be off to a great start. I'd keep a spare fuel filter in the truck, just in case it clogs up (doesnt happen much, but its cheap insurance)

BKinzey

Congrats! Looks pretty good.

Worst thing is the dealer statement:

I cant believe the 6.2L diesel motor that is under the hood runs so nice and has so much power you truly wont be dissapointed its a bear.

:lol: :lol: "Power"??? Not something the 6.2 & M1009 are known for 8)

Still a nice buy.

M1028A1ShelterCarrier

BKinzey said:

I cant believe the 6.2L diesel motor that is under the hood runs so nice and has so much power you truly wont be dissapointed its a bear.

Still a nice buy.
How come my CUCV didnt come with "has so much power."

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could always leave it white and put a US NAVY on the door. :shock: sorry it's the squid in me. :wink:

Nice find, welcome to the club!

Looks like it's got military-style 6TL batteries. I recall those are NOT maintainance-free, so you may want to grab a tester at an auto parts store and check them out before driving off.

Conventional wisdom applies - check the fluids, carry spare filters, etc. Maybe drive it down the road a bit and have the oil changed if you're paranoid about such things (I wasn't, but am now). Lubing up all the fittings is fairly easy and not a bad idea, especially if you can get under there yourself and have a look for leaks, cracks, etc. I'd go ahead and repack the wheel bearings with fresh grease if it's been sitting a while, cheap insurance.

I've been working my way through all the yearly tasks in the TM - up next is the rear diff, as I have no idea how long it's been since the gear oil in it was changed out.

My own experience picking up a CUCV was fun - drove back 700 miles from Austin, TX. The only problem I had was a blown headlight fuse. Rear u-joint developed some noise about 1000 miles after that, pulled it apart and the bearings were dust.

mangus580

M1028A1ShelterCarrier said:
BKinzey said:

Still a nice buy.
How come my CUCV didnt come with "has so much power."
I feel cheated on mine!!!

Massm35a2

Thanks for all the help. I have a spair 6TL batt on hand that is good, I may bring it down with me. What oil & fuel filters does it take? Something I can get at a parts store? I know my Deuce parts are a pain in the a@# to find. :)

AJMBLAZER

When I drove my CUCV home from Wisconsin I made sure the first stop I made was at a parts store.
Picked up some Non-Detergent 30w oil, some diesel additive, and a quart or two of 15w40 diesel rated oil. Paper towels, snack foods, random tools, etc as needed.
Get a maintenance manual for the truck. Cheap backup if you find yourself sitting somewhere trying to remember how much oil it should have, what to look at to diagnose a problem, etc etc etc. For my drive home I just got a $15 Chilton's manual but have since gotten a 1986 GM factory service manual set ($80 on eBay) and some of the government manuals. The Chilton's should be fine for the ride home.

To keep from munching an injection pump I put one ounce of ND 30w into the gas tank per every gallon of diesel I put in along with the recommended amount of diesel fuel additive. Some people don't do this with these 6.2's and seem to get along fine but I consider it cheap insurance in case my injection pump was never upgraded like most were.
You might consider some ATF+III or higher since this truck uses it in both the trans and transfer case.
Also consider taking the time to check the levels in the axles and transfer case. Not as easy as pulling a dipstick but simple insurance against burning something up due to it being low or empty.

Headsets and an Ipod or discman are a good thing since it doesn't have a radio. I don't know how different the interiors of the K5's are but my pickup is pretty damn loud. You get kinda fatigued by it because that's all you have to listen to. Since installing my radio it's much easier to drive...even if the radio is turned way up just to hear it.

Massm35a2

Thanks for all the tips, AJMBLAZER I was thinking of bringing a quart of 2 cycle oil to add to the fuel tank to keep the injector pump lubed up. That is what I do with my Deuce now and it seems to run better.

AJMBLAZER

I was recommended ND 30w by a diesel guy familiar with these things but I figure as long as it isn't a detergent oil (and it's working for you) then you should be set.

IRWFO

AJMBLAZER said:
Headsets and an Ipod or discman are a good thing since it doesn't have a radio. I don't know how different the interiors of the K5's are but my pickup is pretty dang loud. You get kinda fatigued by it because that's all you have to listen to. Since installing my radio it's much easier to drive...even if the radio is turned way up just to hear it.
Ear plugs are a must. I took mine home from WI and then did a NY to KY and back again trip with my 1009. Your ears might get use to the road noise but it can't be good for the hearing. When I would stop for fuel and pulled out my plugs I couldn't believe how loud it really is inside the cab.

ONTOS66

Congratulations on your new rig. I'm sure you will enjoy the M1009, it has the acoustics of a metal bucket, but I enjoy mine. It looks like you have power setup for military radios (the bars behind the passenger seat) but no radio shelf, etc. You may have noticed that the back seat is missing - I took mine out for more room. Also, no spare tire - something you might want to replace soon. Before doing anything else go to the technical manuals section and download all the manuals for the CUCV - follow the -10 (operator's manual) for basic services and the Lube Order. The bolts and grommets behind the driver and passenger doors were for the antenna mounts, and the two hooks at the rear are part of the antenna tie down kit. Have a great time on your road trip - and take photos!
Enjoy!!!!

CCATLETT1984

Massm35a2 said:
Thanks for all the tips, AJMBLAZER I was thinking of bringing a quart of 2 cycle oil to add to the fuel tank to keep the injector pump lubed up. That is what I do with my Deuce now and it seems to run better.
As long as its "ash-less" oil that would be fine, but you dont want any particles going through the IP and injector tips

Massm35a2

Thanks for all the grat tips, you guys are awsome. I plan to add the antenna's someday when I get the money and find a good deal.

I would think it must be less loud than my M35, that was a long trip home from KS

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks