• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

paint job using rustoleum camo rattle cans

sedohr

just got my truck about a month ago and had to put an army camo paint job on it.....

used rustoleum's camo rattle can paint.

i'll let the pics speak for themselves. i took a pic of how many cans of each color i used as well. keep in mind, i did NOT paint the bed, only the rails and troop seats. also, for the "woodland brown" i din't like rustoleum's version so i just bought a flat brown that i liked in the same brand. little bigger spray pattern but no biggie.

last pic is how it looked when i bought it....

i went to lowe's and had them color match the OD so i could use a roller/brush to do the troop seats. perfect match, can't tell where the spray stops and the rolled on starts...

sticking very well after a month of climbing all over the truck, dropped tools, etc. very pleased with the results

Attachments

Last edited:

SPCWarning

Looks good! Looks like you lucked out and had a good solid green base to start with. I bet that helped in the amount of green you had to buy. The brown isn't marked camoflage on the can that I can tell, is it just a primer? Nice job ![thumbzup]

sedohr

Looks good! Looks like you lucked out and had a good solid green base to start with. I bet that helped in the amount of green you had to buy. The brown isn't marked camouflage on the can that I can tell, is it just a primer? Nice job ![thumbzup]

where the camo pattern called for green, i painted it so everything but the bed and undercarriage is new paint.

i just freehanded off the spec camo pattern and didn't paint an overall base color first.

yeah, the brown is rustoleum's flat "flat brown" paint. i wanted a more woodland look being in ohio. spray pattern's a little broader but it wasn't unmanageable. colors should be blended anyways.

DHennon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You did a great job...... I used 50 cans of Krylon for the whole truck. Previous owner used a broom and house paint. I had to remove a great deal and I needed 2/3 coats in some places. I also did the inside of the cab.

DHennon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
sedohr,

The previous owner used house paint to paint the deuce, and it was a VERY poor job. He proably used a heavy-bristled brush or perhaps a wallpaper paste brush. There were heavy brush marks all over the truck in 3 color camo. I used a wire cup brush on my angle grinder to get them all off. It was a labor-intensive job. I primed with Krylon primer and then used Krylon Camo Olive to paint. I decided to use the rattle cans because I could do small areas at a time, and did not have to fire up the compressor and paint pot. The truck turned out good. I am keeping a file with pics of everything I have done since I bought it last October. I almost am finished with the big stuff and will post it on the site with pics.
Here is what I have done so far:
Air o matitic steering
Have a Winch to install
Replaced all the wood on troop seats
Painted bed with 2 coats of Herculiner
Installed new tail gate
New cargo cover with bows, corners and uprights
Recovered seats
Painted interior and replaced all the data plates and decals
New steering wheel and horn assy
Painted truck
Solargizer
New Belts
Replaced Oil and all filters
New Fuel Tank Pump
Currently replacing all seals, brake cylinders, Master Cylinder, air pack, and repacking wheel bearings.
Adding Air Conditioning- Have mounted evaporator and fabricating compressor bracket
Installing Water filter
Added Tank lights to mirror brackets
Bought M105A2 trailer
Installed M/C remote resevoir
Replaced all weatherstrippng
Installed interior tank light and rifle mounts
Have replaced most water hosess
and thermostat
Replaced all tools on Pioneer rack
New spare for truck and trailer
Have committed to buy 10 larger tires and wheels
Bought a tow bar today

It's a money pit and I fell in and can't get out!!!! LOL!!

Elaborated

That's it for now............:driver:

augiedoggy

Looks Great Randy! I also used rustoleum regular flat black and flat brown paint for my 3 color; used the rapco for the green of the sheet metal, color matched one gallon for frame and underneath. My color matched green is close but I noticed a little more gloss to it.
We need more folks like you to join us at the Haspin Acres Steel Soldiers rallies:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/steel-soldiers-rally/76604-2011-fall-haspin-run-pic-video-thread.html

Welcome to Steel Soldiers, keep up the great work! :beer:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Looks great! I thought about doing a camo liner paint shop so it wont scratch and what not going through the woods, but its pretty costly.

rattlecan6104

Looks great.

I went just green with black trim when I did mine, used krylon OD green, and walmart cheap flat black, the flat black was so thin, it required a few more coats.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks