• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

paint needed

zout

I'll behave myself.

OP - we have a search area on the SS site along with a seperate forum for Paint & Body work near the bottom of the listings.

There are countless posts on paint - products - comparisons - results blah blah blah in this area.
You are sure to find something with a little effort to look and search - besides a seond post for just looking for a quick answer. You'll find more than you bargined for in this Paint & Body area.

Good luck and may the Force be with you.
:roll:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Zout is correct. Please use search on the site or even Google and you come up with a myriad of opinions and sources.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Which color if od? What are u painting? What era? I will be happy to help.

bigginstactical

Call these guys. They are very helpful and can answer all your questions. It is the actual CARC paint not house paint so you will pay more.... if you want on the cheap do what everyone else said and search the forums. If you want CARC call these guys though. good luck

Eric Martinez,
Customer Service

Aktion Supply Inc. is an "Economically Disadvantaged Woman-Owned Small Business"

28310 Avenue Crocker Unit A
Valencia, CA 91355

Tel: 661.257.8861
Fax: 661.257.8871
Eric@aktionsupply.com
www.aktionsupply.com

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You want need carc if your painting something for the 70s or earlier

Diecorpse

I've seen many posts about paints and colors, but my question is, "isn't CARC paint suppose to block the steel its on from radar detection?" I heard this from a guy who worked at the surplus store where I baught my truck. I don't know so I figure I would ask.

bigginstactical

chemicals not radar.

[h=2]Chemical Agent Resistant Coating (CARC) Paint[/h] CARC is a paint used on military vehicles. This coating system provided surfaces that are easily and effectively decontaminated after exposure to liquid chemical agents.The CARC system contains solvents and isocyanate (HDI).Exposure to CARC paint may occur during indoor painting operations if proper personal protective (PPE) equipment and engineering controls are not instituted.

festivagt

I ran accross the same thing - CARC is supposed to mask the IR signature of the vehicle it is applied to. They actually seem annoyed with the amount of misinformtion out there about CARC properties. According to them it is more than just chemical resistance.

http://www.milspray.com/products-services/touch-up-paint-coatings/usar/why-carc

"Infrared Signature ManagementThis is one of the least understood, yet most important attributes of the CARC camouflage system. Each of the colors in the camouflage system contains a special pigment package that camouflages vehicles and equipment when they are in their intended theater of operation. As an example, the 383 green color in the camouflage pattern, has an IR signature equal, or less than, that of chlorophyll. When viewed in IR, the vehicle will blend in with the wooded environment and will not create an IR signature that could be used by enemy weapons systems having IR homing technology. IR homing weapons systems can be found in MANPADs or many shoulder fired missiles."

Jeepsinker

I use diamondcote, from one of my local auto paint supply places. Epoxy based and only 60 bucks per gallon including the hardener here. I'll see if I can get the stock or mix number next time I go out to the shop.

Jeepsinker

Apparently there is no formula or code on the can, it just says " Olive Drab Green" industrial /machinery/ manufacturing. Diamond Kote. Sorry that's all the info I have. Could have sworn it had a paint code on it.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It must block radar, I've never been stopped for speeding in an MV.

TacticalDoc

It might help against IR from the tech of the 1950s... until it "sees" the exhaust stack and engine bloom anyway.

IR is different from thermal from what I understand
its difficult to beat thermal imaging which detects heat. no matter what paint you use the heat difference of the metal vs environment will be seen
Night vision which detects light and IR light can be fooled by hiding under a canopy of trees

I'll have to check with my 3rd gen NV but I don't have thermal optics