• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Paint Questions

mattg2448

Alright, i have been doing some searching, and i have found mostly what i need but i need some answers and some opinions.

I have a M35A2 that i would like to repaint, i would try to do a 3 color woodland camo. I wanted to do CARC, but after seeing the price at a couple stores, i was instantly turned off.. Now im trying for a substitute, and i was thinking RAPCO's 34079 Forest green, and spray the blotches later., but what do you guys think?
I want something that will hold up, and not fade quickly, the truck is stored outside.. We spray all of our paint on equipment with a Pressure Pot, and as far as that goes, i have no idea where to go from there.. Would it be easier to paint with a Harbor Freight gun? and also, since it isnt exactly CARC, can the paint be sprayed indoors(garage) Also, how many gallons would it take to do just the top coat(green)?

Thanks..

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll try and answer a couple of your questions Matt.

If you have access to a pressure pot then that will be easier to use, just more expensive to buy and more work to clean up. The Harbor Freight guns shine for small jobs, occasional use, and paint that is hard on guns. Just like a throwaway paint brush, not the best tool but appropriate for some jobs.

Whether painting indoors or out, you will need to wear at minimum a NIOSH TC23 or equivalent rated respirator.

If if a polyisocyanate hardener is used in the paint then a fresh air supplied respirator, nitrile gloves, and paint suit will also be needed. That stuff is dangerous, so stay away from it is best.

So you could paint in a garage, but you would need ventilation and light as well as Personal Protective Gear.

As for the Rapco paint, I suggest you search the site using Google as others have already written many pages of opinion on that subject. In the search box type "Rapco paint site:steelsoldiers.com" read a lot, and you will get the information you want.

mattg2448

Alright! Im back again! Got the truck indoors, I am chipping the rusty, crappy paint off, and getting it ready to sand and prime/paint. Using rapco spray cans, when painting on a piece of steel( primed and then painted) it came out a semi gloss. Im using 383 carc substitute, and forest green, sprayed to test what one i liked more. So... Semi gloss, is this normal? And also.. The 383 seems to be very light, and forest green seems to be a brown.. I would like a good looking grean truck.. Kinda hard to explain.. A dark green is what im looking for. Sorry if this is all hard to read, i am rushing this cause i gotta get up early for school. Thanks guys!

eagle4g63

Matt, I painted my truck with all things:Rustoleum!! the reasoning is it is easy to get (Menards-I'm always in there) and cheep! the colors don't match exactly but I like the way it came out(the brown could be a little darker for my taste and it would match)

The trailer is painted from the government in Carc and is just the way I got it(pic taken the same day) so you can see there isn't a huge difference in color. Just my thoughts for you.

I'll get you the numbers on the cans if you want; the black is just there plain flat black, same with the brown, and the green is there camo line of paint.

Attachments

UncleSam

What are the colors numbers of the Rustoleum?

Matt, I painted my truck with all things:Rustoleum!! the reasoning is it is easy to get (Menards-I'm always in there) and cheep! the colors don't match exactly but I like the way it came out(the brown could be a little darker for my taste and it would match)

The trailer is painted from the government in Carc and is just the way I got it(pic taken the same day) so you can see there isn't a huge difference in color. Just my thoughts for you.

I'll get you the numbers on the cans if you want; the black is just there plain flat black, same with the brown, and the green is there camo line of paint.

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
That is all I use is Rapco 34079,It is easy to spray and the finised product looks good,I have painted atleast 30 trucks with it.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
383 green is the correct color for the 3 color paint schemes. Forest green is for older (Vietnam era) Marine and Seabee trucks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks