• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Paint stripper product review

BillIdaho

Admittedly, no pic's, but please allow me to tell ya'll about my recent dabbling with a specific paint stripper.
My daughter-in-law works at a local paint store. They were doing an inventory and discovered 4 or 5 gallons of paint stripper rat-holed. They figured it had been forgotten about and probably was sitting there for about 3 years. Since the boss didn't really want to take a chance on it, he told her to "get rid of it.....". She calls me and says "if you want it to see if it still works, it's yours for free (but you have to come and get it)". So I am the proud owner of 5 gallons of "Peel-Away #7".
I read up on it all I could. Evidently, you cover whatever you want to strip with a layer from 1/16 to 1/8th thick. Then, with the special two layered paper (one side is paper, the other is plastic coated) you cover whatever you just "painted", and let it sit from 30 minutes to up to 24 hours, depending on various factors, such as type of paint, number of coats, age, weather, etc.
At the determinated time, all you are allegedly supposed to do is simply peel the paper off, taking the shriveled up paint with it. No muss, no fuss. Throw the paper in a bag and toss it in the trash. No smell, no gnarly acid burns.

Well, I have this M116 trailer I am restoring for another searchlight project, and it needs a complete stripping. The heat and humidity at Ft Lewis, Washington must be a real nasty combination, as every one of the trailers (40 or so) we got from there were about half bare of paint, from flaking off to being able to darn near wipe it off with your hand. Rust was starting to rear its ugly head.
So, this would be a perfect speciman to try this stuff on. I put a coat- closer to an 1/8th thick- and covered it with the paper (paper side down, shiny plastic side up). The outside temp was about 100 degrees, with 13 % humidity- I love Idaho). I left it alone and went inside. Since I knew GI paint was pretty tough, and this was CARC, even though it was starting to peel off on its own, I thought it would require plenty of time. I went outside about 6 hours later and nothing. I peeked underneath a corner of the paper and nothing was happening. Oh well, I'll check it in the morning.
The next morning I could see much (about half) of the paper was "lifted" up from the paint underneath bubbling. I took some of the paper off, and with a putty knife, removed what was bubbled up. Strange thing was, and I don't know if it did this due to the age of the stripper, or if this was normal, but AFTER I removed those certain peices of paper, THEN even more paint bubbled up--within literally a minute or two.
I got rid of all that eventually bubbled, and put on a second coat, not as thick as the first coat. I covered it and waited. I went back outside about 2 hours later and about 95% of the remaining paint was bubbled. (Again 100 degrees and 13-15 % humidity) While wearing rubber gloves, I took my putty knife, scraped it all into a bag and by the end of the process, there was virtually no smell at all. ( Even when it was fresh out of the bucket, it did not smell like any stripper I ever used. It wasn't bad at all.
So, that being said, compared to that gooey gel- like clear stripper I used to buy ( this is thick white stuff), this worked WAY better.
I didn't look up how much this stuff would cost if I had to go buy it, but I would recommend it.
Now, a trip to the sand-blaster to get rid of what rust was on it and I'm ready to piant.
I figure if it worked this good and being a couple of years old, new stuff must really work!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks