• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Painted M923 Camo

dangerfieldinc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well three weeks ago I sold my 5 ton and part of the deal was painting it for new owner. First we went over all the questionable area's with a wire wheel on the side grinder. Then we pressure washed it 3-4 times with heavy duty degreaser let it dry . After that used rust converter OSPHO two more days of good drying . Next we used rustolum red rusty metal primer on any bare metal and rusty places. Had to let it dry for 4 days due to a rain shower on day two if drying. Then came the fun 10 gallons of Valspar Duramax paint and primer product from Lowe's color matched to new fiber glass troop seat green. Did this over several days to get all the nooks and crannys underneath tail gate up sides down. It was a lot more work than I thought it would be. Their is a lot of angles and surface to get. After letting the green dry for 5 days did the camo pattern using pictures of trucks from web as reference. I used the brown color matched off of something that the guy had. Next is lots of pictures. Most probably did not read post just looked at pics. I used my airless house paint sprayer for green the gravity feed air spray painter.

Last edited:

dangerfieldinc

Steel Soldiers Supporter

dangerfieldinc

Steel Soldiers Supporter

dangerfieldinc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Black is on brown is marked

Attachments

dangerfieldinc

Steel Soldiers Supporter

dangerfieldinc

Steel Soldiers Supporter

dangerfieldinc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I learned alot doing this I think the next one will be alot easer. I the bigest thing to work around is the weather. The Duramax paint was real good to use it evin got rained on a few times but it had dried for 5-6 hrs befor and it was good to go. After I let the green coat dry for a few days it was hard enough to file my fingernail down as I tried to scrape it off. Also trying to get it all green from tan was a lot harder and took alot more paint than I thought it wood.

inksane

That paint job looks awesome. I am going to buy a m923 here soon and will most likely have to paint it, what was the total cost to do the paint job?

dangerfieldinc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Two 5 gal Buckets of Duramax @ $175.00 each then 4 one gallon cans at $38.00 each, 6 rattle cans of Rustolum $36.00 rusty metal primer another $45 in other supplies. and 3 weeks of time for me. Total about $600.00