• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Painting 5 ton, stuff I learned

F18hornetM

We have just about finished painting the 5 ton and I have learned a couple things.
First thing: We used Rapco 383 substitute with paint gun and that worked very well. On the M35 we used spray cans for brown and black since much smaller areas to paint. But when you use a spray can on a large flat area its very hard to cover evenly, especially the flat black. Also a spray can never applies paint in as nice a coat as a spray gun. So this time we tried something different. I bought a quart of rustoleum oil based enamel flat black and thinned it at the same rate as the rapco paint. 4 parts paint to one part thinner. It worked awesome. Much better coating and only used almost a quart to paint all the black, 2 coats.

Second thing: We used a gravity feed paint gun which works well, except cleaning is a pain. Washing in thinner and all took alot of time. This time I used brake kleen. Took one can of brake kleen to completely clean gun. Wiped out excess paint from cup and just washed out with brake kleen. removes paint much quicket than thinner does and with no scrubbing. Removed cup and sprayed through gun, then removed needle and just rinsed off. Probably reduces cleaning time by half. Used on the rapco paint as well as the rustoleum with equal results. Now I dont mind using the paint gun as much since clean up is easier. Also the cost is much better. A Qt of black is only $9, vs many,many spray cans at $4-$6 each

Maybe somebody has posted all this on here berfore, but if not, might help someone else.

Chuck76

looks good.

The PO of my bobbed deuce moved the fuel tank to the bed...Long story short, I had to swap fuel pumps and figured I'd paint the tank....boy what a pain it was to strip 30+yrs of paint....anyway, its done and now coated in rust olem's bed liner.....

F18hornetM

I worked in a body shop when still in high school, like 30 years ago, phew. back then all we used was plain old acrylic enamels and at the time, new laquers. I know none of that stuff is used to day with the clear coats and all, but the old enamels are easy to use and very forgiving. Rapco stuff works great in my opinion and doesnt cost much more than quality house paints.

Austringer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Going to try a coat of Rustoleum oil based enamel (Industrial) tomorrow on my FAJ. Let's hope it work as it cost a fortune, all 30.00

F18hornetM

I used about a gallon of green on the 5 ton, but only painted the green parts. The rear bed didnt need painting. On the Duece we painted the whole truck green first as it was kind of rusty. Think we used almost 2 gallons on that.
I'd probably order 2 gallons. You will use it I'm sure and a little cheaper I think getting 2 at one time.