• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Painting a MAXXPRO MRAP

Tnrobocop

So I am about to paint our new MAXXPRO. It is currently in tan obviously. After sanding and rust clean-up, do I need to shoot a coat of primer before we do the Behr paint final coat? Also what would be the best base/color code for a matte black coat.

Thanks in advance.

Tnrobocop

So as long as the surface is lightly sanded the paint will stick no problem? Also do you happen to know what code/trade name would be the best base for a matte finish. Thanks in advance.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a M880 with Chevy Red paint, waxed and such. we sanded the whole truck and then shot the Behr ultra home premium over it. 2 coats I think. I know other guys have had luck matching behr with CARC (which is what you have... so be careful as HE CK when you are sanding. borrow a SCBA from the fire Dept. Don't breathe that crap in).

Tnrobocop

Thank for the info. I hope that the CARC on it is the water based but I don't hold out much hope (2008 model vehicle), but I do have respirators/filters lined up already. I have had (3) M1009's of my own I have had to do bodywork/paint on and know how nasty that stuff is.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should be fine with a good sanding of every surface to be painted (for paint to adhere to) and a thorough washing of the surfaces with TSP (to remove any oils or foreign elements that would cause paint to not adhere), then good rinsing.

The only worry you might have with paint would be with lacquers over the existing CARC; they go on & cure "hot" and I've had mixed results with them over CARC/existing paint. Most enamels now (especially the alkyd enamels sold as CARC replacements) work well over the existing CARC, as do urethanes.

The only problems I've had are due to bad or improper surface prep.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks