• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Painting a new steering wheel

jamboly

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got a new steering wheel for my M52A1 and painted it semi OD. The paint isn't drying. I assume paint won't work with whatever material the steering wheel is made out of. Any ideas as to how to get the paint off and what kind of paint to put on it?

hilber

I would have never painted it. Sorry, don't know how to get it off unless with mineral spirits if it is oil based or water and soap if it is water based paint.

jamboly

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Jim,
No paint on the steering wheel. Its a green molded plastic.
I got this steering wheel from TNJ Murray, supposedly as NOS. It was black.
I put on oil based paint, so I will try paint thinner to get it off. After that, I will try some kind of paint that is rated for plastic/rubber as an undercoat and see if that works.

5ton4ever

Try a small area first, and don't leave the stripper on too long, it might soften the plastic. there is a product called goof off which I have used with great sucess for removing paint and adhesive. also removes tree sap and tar.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks