• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Painting an Air Force Deuce

Name your poison Fellas.

I have an 1987 air force Deuce that has a really sad desert tan paint job. I think those air force boys painted it with mops and push brooms.

I've sanded down the runs, bad spots and cleaned up the little bit of surface rust and it's ready for a new coat of _____________.

Do I go back with the Air Force preferred Tan, like some nice Gillespie Tan "CARC replacement"? Or do I dress her up with a nice green based army camouflage?

Yeah Yeah...I know...it's all a matter of personal opinion, tastes, bias etc. but I'm kinda torn.

zout

Why not just mop it down like other folks here have done with Behr house paint auaauaauaaua

But I guess it will cost money and time to do it right the first time.

Some folks should hire that aerial wildfire company to drop a plane full of Behr house paint on their truck - heck you could get them all done at once :popcorn:

But I guess it will cost money and time to do it right the first time.

Even if all you can do for now is get the old stuff cleaned off and primered and rust preventative on it - so be it - but only do each step the best you can with good top quality stuff or just my opinion - leave it alone.

renovate7

The tan shows dirt MUCH more readily. I always wanted a tan ruck until I looked at quite a few at a GL location. The bodies and inside of the cabs showed every smudge and scrape. If I could keep the truck indoors and only use it for shows I think tan would be good, but not in the real world.

jrobinson5093

why not the air force blue? Im trying to come up with the money to get a air force 5 ton and from what I can tell it was blue and I have seen pictures with A blue deuce Looked good to me.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am a huge fan of 383 CARC GREEN, but in your case, IMHO original Desert Tan is the way to go.2cents

mcmullag

let the force show you the way Luke

I have a 1987 air force deuce. I made it into a kinda Marine thingy cause I haul Marine Corps League folks in it in parades. I really like the 3 color woodland camo design and colors. Check out those GL ads on this site of all those purty 900 series trucks in 3 color woodland camo.
Rapco paint.

Attachments

Heavysteven

Three color camo CARC for two reasons.

1. Looks good
2. Helps camouflage the truck from the neighbors and code enforcement from space (I am not joking they claimed they had images).

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you want an "accurate for your truck" scheme, since 1987 the USAF have painted deuces in 3-colour (383) camo; the overall green from that scheme (34094); or tan. OD and Strata Blue were long since obsolete when your truck was built.

If you just want to paint it a cool colour regardless of 'period correct', then pick from the choices listed in the thread and have at, it is your truck after all, paint it a colour that please you. ;)

Cheers

Amer-team

If you are trying to keep it original, if it had sandbox time, how about keeping it in its combat time colors? do you know the unit it belonged to? My truck is a 68 and was going to green it, but after talking with many vets on this issue, the vote seems to be for combat time color.

Great feedback folks. Some good ideas I hadn't considered.

It would be cool if there were some "deployment colors" but I'm pretty sure it never left US soil, looking at the service records that came with it.

I think I like the idea of "Original". I'll do some wide area sanding and maybe I can see if it was ever Camo and I'll go from there.

Thanks for all the great ideas, opinions and suggestions!

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"Original" often can be any or all the schemes for one vehicle.

My M931 is currently overall 34094 green, but that is a repaint as evidenced by numerous tan bits showing through. Under one of the paint chips that is lifting on the frame (as CARC tends to do) is a small black/brown area, so it was 3-colour before it was tan.

Of note- all the services used the same standard schemes. Each seem to have done non-standard one-offs at a unit level, particularly the Marines who did several different 2-colour desert-type schemes.

Cheers

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks