• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

painting an MV with a roller

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone here painted an MV with a paint roller (narrow one, like 3" wide) and had good results? If so, what type of paint did you use? Automotive or latex? Anyone got pics of their paint job this way?

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Westy said they used paper towels dipped in buckets to paint their trucks when he was in. I just spray over all the runs and drips and my trucks and trailers keep their "real military look".

I did do a roller job on my S280 and I think it looks very good.

Srjeeper

That's how I painted the 'Waci Shak' and you've seen it. I used a brush for trim and tight spots and the rest with big & small roller. I used Gilispe 24087 right outta the can.

Attachments

dependable

A friend of mine painted his Mercedes 300TD with grey Rustolium with roller. It came out suprisengly good. I don't have any pictures. He looked up how to do it somewhere on internet.

SteveKuhn

Are you figuring on flat or semigloss? That can make a big difference in the finish. My suggestion is to get a small sample of the paint you intend to use, some Floetrol or Penetrol depending on acrylic vs. alkyd, and work out a bit on flat sheet metal.

I did tests for the outer sheet metal with a 3" fine foam roller and acrylic latex semigloss but found it set too fast and didn't have enough flow for my taste, whether I did it with a 'wet' or 'dry' roller. I was being super picky wanting it to lean toward a sprayed texture. Came out just short of that. In retrospect, it was probably very good with the wet roller. The 'dry' roller and lots of back 'n forth gave a CARC-like texture. If I was working with current 383 or tan flat I'd have loved it.

I did the inside of my bed with epoxy latex (satin) porch and floor with a 6" foam and liked the results a lot. It deadens out a lot with time. The bed is not as critical to me as the outside and the surfaces are already roughed up.

Both of the above had max amounts of Floetrol/gal.

Before the weather started to catch up, I was all set to do the same to recoat my tailgate, this time with industrial alkyd because it flows MUCH better. Still might have time to get to that. I'm anticipating very good results after using that paint with a chisel-tipped trim brush on my front pintle assembly. Virtually undiscernable brush tracks, even within 3'. And that result was without Penetrol.

Steve

gungearz

Yep, cut with a brush and roll it out with a 9" and 4" 3/8" nap, lint free roller. Semi or flat really don't matter if you "finish brush lit". Cutting it first then hitting it with the roller should give you the best results...

85CUCVtom

My M1009 is rolled black. It doesn't look too bad. I bought it that way and haven't changed it. I plan on going to green though and I'm debating weather to just roll green on top or sand down and spray.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used the 1-gal cans from Rapco "383" green. Poured it into the pan and rolled it on. Took almost two whole gallons for the 280 shelter.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You repainting the Durango?

Rick
No.

Did you guys find you had to use two coats to get good coverage? I'm sure that painting a light color with a darker color, probably not. But maybe going from something that was 24087 and making is 383 green, might have to use 2 coats?

Your thoughts?

Lindsaym151

Pics of my Deuce, M151&65 fordl

All where done with a Brush,rollerand Airless sprayer. Iused latex on the M151&deuce Carc 383 match 15 yr warranty exterior flat

70deuce

Behr paint and primer all in one. Mostly roller applied. Could use a second coat in some areas of the brown on the trailer. Almost three years on the trailer. Holding up well. Trailer's OD is original paint. M818 fuel tank not painted yet.

Attachments

FrankUSMC

While in the Marines we repainted all our fire trucks in 1991 with rollers. They all turned out very good and passed the IG inspection. The fire trucks were the P19As crash trucks.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

nmwildman013

Three years ago I painted one of my m35s and a couple trailers with Parker Duck Boat paint then spray painted the camo colors and they came out real sharp. That stuff sticks and is very tough.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks