• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Painting by the numbers

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, I just moved from Colorado to Texas.

The basic difference is that in Texas you paint the numbers on the truck front and rear and that becomes the license plate numbers (so to speak)

I still don't have to run plates, so I'm a happy camper...

I know, I know... PIX

View attachment 284225

View attachment 284226

Ya gotta know where it came from
looks like WV ARNG TMP-11

View attachment 284227

View attachment 284228

Tape and paint front and rear

View attachment 284229

View attachment 284231

final results front and rear

99 ID 5/383

OR

Easy Company 383rd of the Ninety Nineth Infantry Division

my Dad's unit in WWII

MY DAD - Denver Veterans Day Parade 2010

He's now 87 and still hanging in there

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice truck! Welcome to Texas.

Gotta love that law! :jumpin:
In Texas the registration can be painted anywhere on the vehicle consistent with accurate military markings (and they do not have to be the vehicle's original service or markings, or something already on the vehicle).
This includes the numbers painted inside the doors on Army trucks, because that is an accurate military application.

All of mine are in USMC markings and registered by their Marine side door numbers (exterior). The exception is my Unimog, which has its original Swiss markings on the windshield.

Cheers

Last edited:

combatmech

Welcome to Texas..... Excited about moving back!! Just dont know when.
There is a great deal of info on the site covering Texas Former Military Vehicle registration

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You gotta get back to Texas any way you can. Sooner, rather than later.

I was SO GLAD to get back 'home'. While I was born in OK, I was raised in Texas from the age of 1 - 25, at which time I left.

I'm 58 and I'm tired and wanted to just go home where I understood the way things worked and I understood the folks who did them.

-------------------------
And I AM going to start a western centric military vehicle collector club starting the first of the year. Pretty much open to anybody, but I'm starting here in Texas, mainly because that's where I am. I am calling it (yeah, I know, NO IMAGINATION)

MILITARY VEHICLE COLLECTOR CLUB

I am modeling it on the Military Vehicle Collectors of Colorado club I am still a member of.

I intend for it to be a 501C3 non-profit organization

I intend for the club to be very cutting edge, technology speaking, getting our club events (past, present and future) on the web in a timely fashion (yesterday is always the correct answer)

I intend for the dues to be $30 a year (hmm- see below, perhaps a FAMILY PLAN? suggestions are welcome)

I intend to involve the WOMEN and children in our lives in club activities as much a I involve the men - this INCLUDES THE MONTHLY MEETINGS (I will know I have succeeded when there are as many women and children at the monthly meetings as their are guys - and they are ALL members)

I intend for the monthly meeting will occur on the first FRIDAY of each month at 7 pm (place yet to be determined here in N. Texas) and start with the recital of the pledge of allegiance to the flag

I intend for us to attend parades in support of local veteran organizations, such as Nat Guard, VFW, DAV, and any school or other organizations that may request it

I intend for us to NOT be political and we will NOT ENDORSE any political parties, but stand for ethics and standards from years gone by and basically forgotten by most people

I intend for us to support EACH OTHER and help each other AND THE CLUB so the club can grow and we can welcome new members into the club regularly (I will have done my job when every month at least ONE new member is introduced at the monthly meeting)

------------------

OK, I am going to start this as it's own thread in 'conversations'

I am hoping for as much input as I can get

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pawnshop,

Is that your new M1028?

And if so, is it registered as a FMV?

And if that's true, it looks like you went with bumper numbers?

could I get a set of front and rear pix?

Craig, Is that your M1009? Registered FMV? Bumper numbers? Pix please of rear?

Last edited:

txmytx_catahoula

Wallew,
Yep, that's my '86 M1009. Registered it a month or so ago as a FMV by the bumper numbers. The threads I read on registering as a FMV in Texas said that the county would take the last 7 numbers. Jefferson county only wanted the lasts 6 and a picture of them, in my case "2MT604". The first of the following pics was before registration and the last is after. I went back to the original pindle and even made an adapter from the military trailer connection to a RV 7 pin so I could use my trailers.

Attachments

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Craig,

Is that a GEARS seat cover I see on the drivers seat?

LOVE MINE FOR SURE...

View attachment 284930

View attachment 284931

I put one on each of the front seats - love having all the storage on the seat backs

AND unless I'm mistaken, that M1009 came from Ft. Riley last summer. The M1009 that I kept ALSO came from Ft. Riley last summer. I see that you just registered it as an FMV, did you just purchase it or just register it as an FMV?

Last edited:

txmytx_catahoula

The seat cover is indeed a GEARS cover. It sure does clean up the clutter and stop some of the rattles on the floorboard. I purchased "Blaze" ( my girl's idea) from a group in OKC this time last year. From the what I've been able to find out it's last unit was at Ft. Riley, but no documents. When I first registered it, it was as a regular '86 D-10 blazer and is still titled as such. After searching, posting and reading all the threads on this site, I found Coldwarrior's thread on registering as a FMV. A couple of phone calls, some photos and the required paperwork......there she is!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks