• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Painting M1009 black... how?

realm

So say I waned to paint an M1009 all black. What's the olive drab paint on there... it looks like a primer almost but I wasn't sure if paint would stick to it or does it all have to be stripped off?

Not wanting showroom floor paintjob but just thinking an all black scheme, even though I know some here will claim blasphemy. :-D

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Blasphemy! :roll:

AJMBLAZER

Are we talking a civilian vehicle quality paint job or just a black coat over the CARC?

The CARC is great for just painting over but as you noted the texture translates into the top coat. If you want a nice shiny, smooth, purty finish like a civilian vehicle than it's a lot more work.

oilcan

Whether you're looking for a flat paint job, or a glossy coat, you'll still have to sand it down to get your new paint to stick.

I don't have a problem with the color, buy do yourself a favor. Don't lean against it in the summer. OUCH!!!

dependable

If you want to go though with this, be advised it may be a cop magnet. Anyway, you need to scuff sand the old paint, then I would hit it with a no sand primer sealer, I use Centari, spray, let dry an hour, run over a tack cloth for nibs if you are meticulous, and spray finish coat. Make sure primer and finish coat are competable.

Last edited:

realm

Not looking for a civilian vehicle finish... texture can be the same as the current paint because it has a fresh coat of OD by previous owner. I can still smell the paint.
So would I had to strip that off completely with like a sander to get black to stick, or can I just paint right over it?

If I use black CARC could I paint right over it?
Or can I get away with some very light sanding just running over it and then painting over it as opposed to totally spending 8 hours stirpping it?

Thanks all.

AJMBLAZER

I've known a few people to just paint right over it with flat paint. Worked fine for them. Heck, we have a guy on here who just rattle canned his right over the old CARC his had.

RAPCO has some flat black that looks like CARC but isn't. Cheaper and easier to deal with I'd think. None of the health hazards either.

mattgw86

I'd say go with a semi gloss black. I had an '87 crown vic that was painted flat black (Krylon ultra flat camouflage paint) and it looked like crap most of the time. A semi gloss finish would have been much easier to keep up and would have looked a lot better, imo.

That said, DO IT!!! and post pics. I think it would look pretty good.

dependable

Why do you think it will be a cop magnet?
Just speaking from experiance. When I was younger, drove some cool 60s chevys in flat gray to black. Never had a problem in my area where the cops knew me, When I went interstate , they would always find a reason to check me out, like 59 in the 55mph zone while I was being passed by other cars.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks