• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Painting the Red Cross on military ambulances

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, just planning for the future, my MV is nowhere near ready to paint. But I am curious, and want to get squared away for later.

I understand that newer MV ambulances such as the M886 and the M1008-series ambulance have Red Cross decals that are about 3x3 feet in size. However, the older ambulances such as the M43 and M725 had them painted on, and they were bigger than 3x3.

Couple questions:

1. What is the correct size of the entire Red Cross square on the older MVs?

2. What is the correct dimensions of the Red Cross itself (how thick is the red portion)?

3. What is the correct colors for the red and the white paint, according to mil. regulation?

Thanks for all the help, fellas.

Opie

I'll look in the paint manual for that period for you. It lays it all out (color/size/location). I'll check back in later tonight.

Opie

Here's the section of the pertinent Army manual for painting an ambulance in the late 1960's:

16 - Ambulance Marking - Military Design Vehicle.
a) Truck, Ambulance, 1/4 Ton, 4x4, M170 (Series).
(1) An 18 inch red cross on a 20 inch square white field will be marked on each
canvas side curtain directly to the rear of the canvas side doors.
(2) An 18 inch red cross on a 20 inch square white field will be marked on the rear
of the vehicle. The upper half of this marking will be applied on the canvas rear
doors and the lower half on the tail gate, centered with the centerline of the
vehicle, in order that the full marking is shown when the rear doors are closed.
(3) A 45 inch red cross on a 48 inch square white field will be marked centered on
the canvas roof.
b) Truck, Ambulance, 3/4 Ton, 4x4, M43 (Series).
(1) The word "Ambulance" will be marked in 3 inch high white letters, centered
three-quarters of an inch above the windshield.
(2) A 3 inch red cross on a 4 inch square white field will be marked to each side
of and in line with the word "Ambulance" above the windshield.
(3) A 36 inch red cross on a 39 inch square white field will be marked on each
side of the body below the roof joint and centered above the rear wheels.
(4) A 33 inch red cross on a 36 inch square white field will be marked on the rear
door panels directly below the windows and centered on the vertical centerline of
the vehicle.
(5) A 60 inch red cross on a 64 inch square white field will be marked on the roof
14 inches from the rear of the vehicle (figure 20).
Figure 20: Ambulance marking for military design vehicles
c) Other Vehicles. Vehicles other than the ones enumerated which are intended for such
usage and which are affected by international agreement concerning such vehicles will be
marked in a similar manner.
d) National Symbol. The National Symbol will not be applied to Medical Service
vehicles.
e) Sizes. The' sizes of the red crosses specified are measured between the ends of
opposite limbs. Each limb of the cross will be a square having sides equal to one-third
the size of the cross.
f) The Army Medical Service Insignia. The Army Medical Service insignia consisting of
a red caduceus on a circular white field will be applied to each side of the ambulance.
Caduceus to be Type 1, MS 16686.
(1) The circular white field will be 91/2 inches in diameter.
(2) The red caduceus symbol will be 6 inches high.
(3) The letter U will be centered to the left of the caduceus symbol; the letter S
will be centered to the right. These letters will be red, 1 1/2 inches high.
g) M170 Series Ambulance. The insignia will be applied each side of the vehicle body to
the rear of the rear wheel.
h) M43 Series Ambulance. The insignia will be applied on each side of the vehicle body
centered horizontally forward of the red cross emblem. The top of the white circle will be
level with the top of the horizontal red cross arm. The legend "Army Medical Service"
will be applied centered 31/2 inches below the caduceus insignia, in 11/2 inch high white
letters.
i) Ambulance Color Markings. The following colors will be used for ambulance
markings, as applicable:
(1) Gloss red, Color Chip No. 11136, and Gloss white, Color Chip No. 17875
on vehicles painted gloss or semigloss olive drab.
(2) Lusterless red, Color Chip No. 31136 and lusterless white, Color Chip No.
37875 on vehicles painted lusterless olive drab.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Opie - Thanks for the great information! Your research skills are commendable!

Will have to print that out when I get home in order to have a reference to do the red crosses on my M-725 come springtime.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Eight year old thread is the same as yesterday to answer questions
If it will not be in combat then follow the directions posted..........
For combat at present hide anything that details a target of medical unit
91B2P

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Eight year old thread is the same as yesterday to answer questions
If it will not be in combat then follow the directions posted..........
For combat at present hide anything that details a target of medical unit
91B2P
Just didn't want him thinking he was going to get a quick reply. All information is appreciated but we see a lot of these pop up with folks wondering if it was their breath or something that kept a reply from the OP.

toddbe

Mkcoen, the thread is even older now, but the info was exactly what I was looking for. Searching before asking is great. Thanks for all the good info on this site.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks