• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Painting wheels-but not tires?

ODdave

Jack it up, Spin the tire & rim. use a tight (narrow) tip on the gun. Have someone with a steady hand spray the wheel. Quick easy and effective.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dishwashing soap for the tires...just wash it off after the paint dries. I use blue masking tape for gauges, reflectors, decals etc.

Kohburn

if you are just worried about overspray outside of tight masking then you can use an oily product on the sidewalls of the tires to prevent the paint from sticking.

Bcurtman

Thanks for all of the input! I'll be using a spray gun, not a can, so I dont want to have to "hold something in place". I'm going to see what 3M offers, but the dish soap sounds like a viable alternative. I'll probably shoot the frame and undercarriage monday evening, so I'll see how this works. Onyx Black semi-gloss latex..... Thanks again!

Jake0147

Dish soap works well.

If you want a solid mask, instead of cutting an arch out of a piece of cardboard, I use a For Sale sign from the hardware store. You can "stuff" it a little further in the crease to get that outer most part easier. I do NOT tap it out with a hammer. I laid mine out on the workbench with a thumb tack and string, and made the radius of the arch about 3/4 of an inch longer than the radius of the wheel. This allows you to "lean" the mask in place and get it right to where the tire meets the rim, since holding it flat leaves a little "ugly ring" around the outside of the rim.

When you do miss and get a spot on the wheel (odds are you're gonna do this at least a little), don't mess with it. Make sure it's dry, all the non-stick coatings of choice are washed away, and hit it (gently) with a flat black spraybomb can. After you move the truck you probably won't be able to find that spot again. That works awesome for mud flaps and dropside stoppers as well.

Josh

Last time I painted my rims I was in a hurry so I didnt mask it off. I just brushed the tire along a curb for a full rotation and took all the paint off. A little armor all on the tire, and she looked like new.:grd:

F18hornetM

I know its been mentioned a couple times, but the aluminum flashing worked awesome. I cut a piece about 30" long, sorta bow it with one hand. It bends easy and will stay tucked in. Tuck it between the rim and rubber and hold in place with one hand, spray can in the other. Then move aluminum around rim and continue. Does a great job and is quick. No need for mess or tape or anything.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks