• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Parking brake-- Do I need it?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Never had one freeze/stick.

rustystud

Honestly you only really need the parking brake for short parking durations. If you leave it applied for a long length of time it will freeze.
Do you service it regularly ? If you keep it adjusted and lubed it should not "freeze" on you. I've had mine set for months at a time and never had a "freeze" problem.

rustystud

I know it needs to be done, and it will be done. Some of you may be retired and do nothing but MV's all day. I cannot, I'm 25 and work my a55 off to pay my school bills, Snapon bills, insurance, etc, AND I was lucky enough to find a deuce that I could afford. What I'm getting at is the truck is going to be a very slow rebuild, but I can't just work on it for 6 months straight with never driving it.

Yes I'm retired now after 40 years wrenching and other things like a stint in the Marines, but that does not mean I have all day to sit around twiddling my thumbs like you think I or others do. I own a home which takes upkeep and farm animals that need taking care of and the land itself needs care as do the orchards. So you see we all have work to do, it never ends until your dead. Now about your deuce. You do realize this truck should not be your main driver ? It is a 50 plus year old truck that needs a lot of care. So when you say you cannot go 6 months without driving it I have to wonder why you bought it in the first place ? If you had to rebuild the engine or transmission or a differential on your schedule of working 65 -75 hours a week how long do you think that would take ? Now before you get the wrong idea and think I'm just jumping all over you, I want you to stop and think about your reasons for wanting to own one of these "old" trucks. If you just want a truck to take out and play with then I would say get yourself a Chevy or Ford or Chrysler pick-up. Yes you can play with a deuce but that comes at a cost. That cost is money and downtime to repair all the things that broke while you were playing.
Even when these trucks where new they took a lot of maintenance to keep them running. I know as I was in the motor pool in the Marines working on them. So if you cannot take the time to properly maintain and repair this truck then why do you have it ?
I own one because it brings back memories of when I was young and healthy and had my whole live ahead of me. I modify my truck because I wished I had these mods on the truck I drove back then. If I could still fit in my uniform I would wear it while driving my deuce and just remember !
Now why do you want one ? Be honest with yourself. If your not, then the deuce will just be a money and time pit for you and after you wasted enough of both you will just sell it and buy what you really want. If you do decide you really want the deuce then you must realize its short-comings and adjust yourself to it, even if that means "not" driving it for 6 months.
OK, enough of the fatherly (grandfatherly) advice.

F18hornetM

Glad your going to fix it and appreciate you not getting bent with every ones thoughts. You'll do fine with it, work on it when you can. If you ever take it to a show and old guys come up and talk about them, you'll really enjoy having it. I to was a road Mechanic for a bunch of years and its lots harder than working in a nice warm shop.
Like Rustystud, I to have them because I drove them in the Marines. I'm not as old as him ;) but I am old enough to be grandfather [x4] .

peashooter

I know this isn't directly related to the original post but when I first got my truck it had a frozen parking brake cable but the previous owner gave me a new cable. The original cable had a grease fitting on it (apparently is wasn't used much), but the new replacement cables do not. Same thing with my M105 trailer, one of the wheel's handbrakes has an older cable with grease fitting and the other wheel's newer cable does not.

I was always curious if there was some type of add-on saddle clamp grease fitting system you could get for these type of cable housings but haven't found anything. I did run across the below pics while googling it though. Someone 3D printed this device to clamp onto the parking brake cable housing of his mercury cougar to grease the cable. Otherwise I'm not sure how you are supposed to lubricate these cables other than attempting to spray some aerosol lubricant in from one end.

Attachments

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ron...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey guys. The reason I bought it is because I'm a new diesel tech, been doing it for about 2 years. I've been with this roadside job for about 6 months now. It was partly because I found a great deal, and partly because I want to learn how to repair and rebuild everything on it. And also because centrally I'll have to get a CDL in the future when I need a bigger service truck. The deuce will help me learn how to drive a big vehicle, parking, following distance, experience for when something goes wrong while driving, etc. I've had my share of hot rods, had a 88 Monte Carlo with a 408 small block ~500 to the wheels. Had a 79 c10 that I totally restored, had a 91 gmc 1500 lifted 12" on 37" tires, 400 small block aluminum heads and block with a weiand supercharger, none of these vehicles made me happy. They were cool, but I grew out of going fast quick. I love the deuce, because it's so old and slow and loud. I enjoy working on it, enjoy driving it.

Rustystud, I'm sorry if I offended you, I didn't mean it like you sit there with your finger up your a55, I meant like you've lived your life already, I'm sure you're in a position that you don't have to wonder whether you can have dinner tonight or have enough gas till the end of the week. I'm doing better as I go, making more money, saving more etc. the deuce isn't my daily by any means, I have a 98 Altima junkbox I bought 3 years ago for $400 and it needs a head so badly everyone thinks it sounds like a Perkins diesel. What I meant by saying I can't work on it without driving it, is I would like to take it out once a month, go on a little drive, not like a road trip. That's years from now. When I go on a drive, I take it around the block or down to the gas station to fuel up, etc.

again, I seriously respect my elders, so I'm sorry if I was out of line. The truck is properly on the road and I guess I don't want to have it sit and pay insurance on it. And I plan on making some money with it this winter. The condition of the truck really isn't that bad. Like on a scale of 1-10 it's definitely an 8. The only big issues it has is the parking brake needs to be replaced, I need two front tires, and I ordered wipers and arms, waiting on them. It had the original wipers on it and they were shot 20 years ago. Otherwise every other aspect of the truck is in or near tip too shape.

texas30cal

There is a device for lubing motorcycle/atv cables with aerosol lube that is similar to that, it works about 50/50 bc of leaks. I have one and will try it on my old cable. There is a cable lube called "dri slide, bike aid" that is excellent for cables, contains moly, VERY thin, has a needle that you can usually stick between the cable and housing and works great!!! Been using it for 25 yrs. If the cable isn't frozen but just sticky it really does the trick, once it's frozen it's usually done.

F18hornetM

Off topic, But welcome to the world of wrench turning. Its not easy work and today 75% of skills needed is diagnostic skills. Can not emphasis how important that is. That's where the money is. I wont even hire someone if they aren't proficient with at least one diagnostic program. Most of my guys have several. IH, Cummins, Ford IDS etc. All my guys are required to be Master ASE heavy truck certified with T1-T9 and E1-E3 [body builder, PTO, Hydraulics]certifications, BUT... They make great money.
Sorry for off topic just wanted to encourage you in your career. There is a huge need for good techs.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd bet Ron remembers the fall of the Roman Empire...:deadhorse:

saddamsnightmare

November 21st, 2016.

Any brake shop that handles truck brakes can reline your parking brake shoes. My advice...Don't leave home without it working. It WON'T stop you in an emergency above a couple of MPH, BUT it will keep your truck from rolling away when parked, and you can devise a locking mechanism to lock the brake in the applied position if you look it over. All it takes is a substantial bracket on the drivers seat side of the unit, with a hole for a bicycle padlock. Lock the lock through hole and around handle, and you have an almost immovable truck!:!:

When the parking brake dos work, it had something like that. There is a chain bolted to the floor between your legs and another to the body under the b pillar. I appreciate your input, I started the thread because a lot of people told me that a parking brake on the driveline won't stop the truck over 5mph in emergency, hence the name parking. And I should have added, that I live on Long Island and there virtually no hills here, highest point above sea level is 150ft. My backyard is completely flat, and for precaution from talking to you guys, I chock the rear wheels (2 6x on either side of one wheel)

im going to order the entire kit for the parking brake because the cable still taught but it's al surface rust which I'm not cool with.

Next chance i get get to work on it, the brake is my first priority. Thanks again all you guys. And hornet, thanks man. I'm more than a parts changer. I love diagnostic work, there's a lot for satisfaction in fixing something that picks your brain than replacing a starter.

rustystud

Wrenchstench92 I'm not angry at you, I just wanted you to understand that these trucks are not a everyday play toy. It sounded like that was what you where after in your first couple of posts. These trucks are just like us "old farts" . Used hard in their day, now their tired and worn-out but still able to do some hard stuff but they pay for it later.
I also wasn't trying to bust your chops on being a mechanic. Since your a car mechanic I can understand you not knowing about trucks and the law. I agree with "F18hornetM" about getting your "ASE" certifications. I had my Master Certification since they came out and where called "NIASE" (National Institute of Automotive Service Excellence) not just the "ASE" certifications. You need to recertify every 5 years though but that just keeps you current on this ever changing industry. My certification has helped me a lot in my career, getting me into doors that I would not have been able to without it. So I highly recommend you getting it. Yes it is hard but well worth it.
Getting back to the deuce, as long as you realize what it is and understand it's limitations then you should do well. Just don't drive it without the parking brake !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks