• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Parking brake help

Doucheddeuce

hello everyone!
I am attempting to fix my parking brake in my 1968 m54a2, my problem is the lever doesn’t have a lot of throw to disengage or apply the shoes (The lever is adjusted all the way up and only goes down to about a 45 degree angle when brakes are in the disengaged position). The cable and the lever are both new as they were both bad when I bought the truck. The brake shoes have been adjusted to meet spec. Along with the cable where the acorn nut is. I’m not entirely sure I have the right yoke end on the cable where the lever meets the cable. If someone could possibly supply a picture of the right one or point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated! Thank y’all in advanced! Here’s a pic of the yoke that’s on the cable now.

Attachments

Last edited:

INFChief

You’re making me dig way back in my memory bank! I thought the cable had 2 threaded ends but if there was a clevis end it may have been at the actuator handle in the cab. If I remember correctly, the cable that goes to the shoes has a threaded end & is routed through that arm (item 27) that levers both shoes to clamp on the drum.

Do you have item # 26 that “mustache spring”?

1643595974169.png

Doucheddeuce

You’re making me dig way back in my memory bank! I thought the cable had 2 threaded ends but if there was a clevis end it may have been at the actuator handle in the cab. If I remember correctly, the cable that goes to the shoes has a threaded end & is routed through that arm (item 27) that levers both shoes to clamp on the drum.

Do you have item # 26 that “mustache spring”?

View attachment 857476
Yes I replaced that too haha, it was also broken in half when I got the truck. It is threaded at both ends. It seems like the whole handle itself needs to be lifted up to sit right to get proper throw.