• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Parking Brake Lockout

ikoinu

I live and park my 998 on a decent hill. I've found myself worrying about the truck rolling, as these don't have a park setting (smart!).
With children in the area, and soft doors that don't lock, I'm thinking this might be too many chances for an issue. Currently, with this in mind, I have been chocking the truck as much as possible.

I've looked a bit and have not seen any options for securing the release of the parking brake, so here's one that will work:

Parking Brake Lever Engaged.jpg
Here you can see the parking brake lever actuator. When the lever is in the upright locked position it pulls the arm inside, locking the brakes.
There is some room in front of the arm to drill a hole, allowing a pin or a trailer lock to be put in place barring the arm from coming forward and the lever from releasing the parking brake.

Parking Brake Lever Partially Disengaged.jpg
Here is the brake partially released, showing how the lever comes forward releasing tension on the cable. With a pin in place, it disallows the arm coming forward keeping the brake engaged.

I'm probably not going to lock the lever, but with a pin cabled to the parking brake it can easily be inserted while parked, effectively keeping nosy people from causing accidents. Keep in mind, this is not an effective theft deterrent (a keyed ignition and a negative kill-switch is), it is more a safety feature that will assist in preventing accidents.
I like keeping military vehicles military vehicles, with as few modifications as possible to make them livable. With that in mind, safety is not something I am willing to overlook.
Please feel free to let me know if there are any other options for us, or you have any suggestions.

Best,
Steven

01/06/18

Changed the plan and drilled through the lever also, which provides a better hold on the brake lever.
Used a 1/4 x 1-1/4 cotterless hitch pin, removed the ring from it & painted it carc green. Blends right in. Make sure the hole is not drilled too large, you want the pin to just fit.

This modification works very well at securing the parking brake, and when used alongside a chock I do not worry about the vehicle rolling off.

20180105_152946.jpg20180105_153001.jpg20180105_153156.jpg20180105_153230.jpg20180105_153211.jpg

Last edited:

tage

Is your parking brake adjusted properly? i.e. it would take a lot to accidentally release the parking break on a hmmwv.

You're on the right path on chocking the tires. It's SOP in the TM, that and a catch pan.
I wouldn't personally drill the hole in the lever. But it aint my truck. Go with bigger wheel chocks if you're still concerned. Park brakes can still fail with your pin mod.

BLK HMMWV

You could always upgrade the parking brake's to the newer style .
This will give you a new brake lever with a lockout lever .
Also stays completely military.
I'd still chock the wheels as an added measure.
BH

riderdan

I'd still chock the wheels as an added measure.
BH
+100
I wouldn't EVER park my HMMWV without a chock. My drive is not an exceptionally steep slope, and I adjust my brake regularly, but I wouldn't trust the parking brake. Even on relatively flat ground I chock it. I chock it in the Walmart parking lot, which is flat as a pancake...

I think your pin idea is a good one, but I wouldn't rely on it or the parking brake. If your truck rolls and hits something, or god forbid--someone... Better safe than sorry.

ikoinu

Agreed! As an engineer for the fire department it is our sop as well.

I am unfamiliar with the newer lever, have not seen it. I'll take a look.

Last edited:

snowtrac nome

More than once I have seen some one throw in a duffle bag, or ruck sack in through the drivers door, and release the parking brake letting a Humvee roll, that is a good idea.

DCIV

Agreed! As an engineer for the fire department it is our sop as well.

I am unfamiliar with the newer lever, have not seen it. I'll take a look.
Relief driver here! If you don't want to drive away without it or run over it...we put on in front and back of a wheel. Lol.

dilvoy

I live and park my 998 on a decent hill. I've found myself worrying about the truck rolling, as these don't have a park setting (smart!).
With children in the area, and soft doors that don't lock, I'm thinking this might be too many chances for an issue. Currently, with this in mind, I have been chocking the truck as much as possible.

I've looked a bit and have not seen any options for securing the release of the parking brake, so here's one that will work:

View attachment 712676
Here you can see the parking brake lever actuator. When the lever is in the upright locked position it pulls the arm inside, locking the brakes.
There is some room in front of the arm to drill a hole, allowing a pin or a trailer lock to be put in place barring the arm from coming forward and the lever from releasing the parking brake.

View attachment 712677
Here is the brake partially released, showing how the lever comes forward releasing tension on the cable. With a pin in place, it disallows the arm coming forward keeping the brake engaged.

I'm probably not going to lock the lever, but with a pin cabled to the parking brake it can easily be inserted while parked, effectively keeping nosy people from causing accidents. Keep in mind, this is not an effective theft deterrent (a keyed ignition and a negative kill-switch is), it is more a safety feature that will assist in preventing accidents.
I like keeping military vehicles military vehicles, with as few modifications as possible to make them livable. With that in mind, safety is not something I am willing to overlook.
Please feel free to let me know if there are any other options for us, or you have any suggestions.

Best,
Steven
I've done your modification years ago as more of an anti theft device, because before the locking type of brake handle came along, there was a square tube that could be dropped over the shaft of the brake lever which would keep it from moving forward. I drilled in a slightly different position and I actually took a grinder and made a notch in the swinging part of the lever assy so when I put in the pin, it would pass tightly in front of the swinging part and through two parts of the framework of the parking brake lever assy. Made for a solid feel. I used a pin with a thumb button.

ikoinu

Relief driver here! If you don't want to drive away without it or run over it...we put on in front and back of a wheel. Lol.
Still Happens! Can't tell you how many I've seen presented back to guys with the obligatory ceremonial flagging :-D
One of our guys even had to wear it!

86humv
Yes please! How much?

dilvoy
Didn't think of that, dropping something over the handle assembly to stop movement.

Last edited:

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Still Happens! Can't tell you how many I've seen presented back to guys with the obligatory ceremonial flagging :-D
One of our guys even had to wear it!

86humv
Yes please! How much?

dilvoy
Didn't think of that, dropping something over the handle assembly to stop movement.
PM me

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One of the first mods I did.
Should almost be mandatory.

I thumped the handle installing a radio shelf....even here in flatland gravity works....

Skrilex

Banned
+100
I wouldn't EVER park my HMMWV without a chock. My drive is not an exceptionally steep slope, and I adjust my brake regularly, but I wouldn't trust the parking brake. Even on relatively flat ground I chock it. I chock it in the Walmart parking lot, which is flat as a pancake...

I think your pin idea is a good one, but I wouldn't rely on it or the parking brake. If your truck rolls and hits something, or god forbid--someone... Better safe than sorry.
Do you find yourself crippled with paranoia? Or have you learned to live with it?

riderdan

Do you find yourself crippled with paranoia? Or have you learned to live with it?
It's only paranoia if there's nobody out to get you :) Seriously, I've seen a truck (with the brake set) roll on ground that, as far as I could tell, was flat. Of course the brake had gone out of adjustment... Since I know that the parking brake isn't reliable, I always chock it. It takes about ten seconds and it means I don't worry about getting sued after my truck rolls over some five year old.

Skrilex

Banned
It's only paranoia if there's nobody out to get you :) Seriously, I've seen a truck (with the brake set) roll on ground that, as far as I could tell, was flat. Of course the brake had gone out of adjustment... Since I know that the parking brake isn't reliable, I always chock it. It takes about ten seconds and it means I don't worry about getting sued after my truck rolls over some five year old.
Lol, ya I once jumped out the truck in my parent steep driveway and it started rolling back. I was able to jump in luckily and avoided extreme embarrassment or worse. But my friend Dan lost a vw pickup down the street and it ended up on top of someone’s bed after crashing through the wall. Lucky that time too, nobody hurt.
However saying all that, I still wouldn’t chock tires in a well adjusted rig in a flat parking lot.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lol, ya I once jumped out the truck in my parent steep driveway and it started rolling back. I was able to jump in luckily and avoided extreme embarrassment or worse. But my friend Dan lost a vw pickup down the street and it ended up on top of someone’s bed after crashing through the wall. Lucky that time too, nobody hurt.
However saying all that, I still wouldn’t chock tires in a well adjusted rig in a flat parking lot.
You will once it happens to you.

There's nothing quite like the moment of "OH +£!&#&=€€" as you turn and see your (in my case) deuce rolling away without you.

Never again. Springbrakes or chock or both.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I see your from Portland , With the amount of rain that area gets I doubt there are many "Flat" parking lots most are sloped towards the drains . They may look flat but have slopes ,and it doesn't take much slope for something to roll , what is the Prius pulling into the spot behind you bumps it ?

Skrilex

Banned
[/COLOR]

I see your from Portland , With the amount of rain that area gets I doubt there are many "Flat" parking lots most are sloped towards the drains . They may look flat but have slopes ,and it doesn't take much slope for something to roll , what is the Prius pulling into the spot behind you bumps it ?
Isn’t that what the parking brake is for? ;)

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Isn’t that what the parking brake is for? ;)
Depends on which model and if it has "park' in the transmission.
The automatic transmission of the M998 series vehicle does nothave a “PARK” position. Whenever the vehicle is parked, or the
transmission is in “NEUTRAL,” the parking brake MUST BE
APPLIED. Damage to equipment and injury to personnel may
occur if these instructions are not followed.
• Chock blocks shall be used when parking a vehicle with
inoperative parking brakes, when operating in extreme cold
conditions, when parking on inclines, or whenever and wherever
maintenance is being performed. Failure to do this may result in
injury to personnel or damage to equipment

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks