• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

parking brake on warning mod?

davesgmc

Has anyone ever put a switch on the parking brake lever to hook to a light to warn that the parking brake is on? I saw that the M35A3 has a switch on its lever and looks like it could be adapted to other applications?
I have a tendency to leave mine on and drive off a lot of the times. was also thinking about hooking it into a buzzer like the low air pressure warning type too.

AceHigh

Here is the switch you are referring to. It also has a LED red warning light on the dash. I think the circuit goes from a hot source to the light to the switch to ground.

http://www.eriksmilitarysurplus.com/pabrswform31.html They are out of stock right now.

On my trucks you can't forget it and drive off because the truck won't move with the brake on. Yours might be out of adjustment or need new shoes. It is a good mod though.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone ever put a switch on the parking brake lever to hook to a light to warn that the parking brake is on?
I have a tendency to leave mine on and drive off a lot of the times.
I am wondering if you have it adjusted correctly... if you CAN drive off?

How about putting an airspring in place of the cable and converting it to 120 psi. Won't move then! And yes it has been done very successfully.

Tlauden

I am wondering if you have it adjusted correctly... if you CAN drive off?

How about putting an airspring in place of the cable and converting it to 120 psi. Won't move then! And yes it has been done very successfully.
Might have to look into this idea, has it been done by someone here??

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can smell it when I leave mine on!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know one collector in TN that installed the air chamber to apply and release his parking brake. The gearing is such that the engine has no problem breaking the parking brake loose, the drivelines have a tougher time. FWIW I've received trucks that had the warning light in place. I'm sure they were unit mods and they used the lever type brake light switch from the M151 for the install. Its is possible to hook the light up to the low air buzzer as well. THAT will remind you for sure!

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Thought there was a MWO that had a retro fit kit that did just this

peashooter

I have a late model 109 that came with the brake light. As someone suggested you just need the switch that will bolt to your existing parking brake, and they have a LED brake light (not cheap though..$40). when you pull the brake up, it just closes the switch and to ground and turns the light on. You can attach it to the center of your instrument cluster like the late model ones. I just recently built a instrument cluster for my truck that mounts to the steering column and have the light in that so its right in front of me now, also have a red warning light for low air pressure since I now have headsets and probably wouldnt hear the low air buzzer while driving.

http://www.eriksmilitarysurplus.com/pabrswform31.html
http://www.eriksmilitarysurplus.com/pabrwali12.html

Attachments

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ok I was reading another thread that gave me a link to the alarm system. It seems that Pin I into the alarm sounds off when the parking brake is on.

Connector wiring:
A, from engine ignition circuit
B, blackout override input
C, not used
D, to engine temp switch
E, to engine over temp light
F, to air pressure switches
G, to low air warning light
H, ground
I, to parking brake switch
J, to parking brake warning light
My thoughts are to cut this pin inbound to the module. I haven't looked any further, but I assume there's a neutral safety switch as well on the transmission. My thoughts are to use a 24v relay that is triggered off that. When the transmission is in neutral, the relay could cut the signal to the module. (And perhaps I could wire in a diode to the parking brake indicator light and allow that to illuminate the parking brake light from a feed above the diode) Then when the transmission is shifted out of neutral (and the brake is on) the relay would kick back on and cause the buzzer to kick in. Giving you the best of both worlds. A simple light when the truck is in neutral and no buzzer with the brake on. And a buzzer/light when the truck is in gear/brake on.

Again, I'll have to study the wiring more to find out if this is feasible. (Hinges around there being a neutral safety switch)

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will look forward to seeing this mod when you do it (I'm not smart enough to figure it out on my own). The parking brake alarm in my 931 drives me nuts! (Short trip..)

Cheers

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks