• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Parking brake problems

Biggles

Ok I've searched and looked in the TM's My parking brake doesn't work anymore, so the first thing I did was crawl under the truck, there is a piece of linkage not attached to the arm that it is supposed to be attached to. I zip tied it to keep it from dragging, also there is a spring not attached. I looked in the TM and I can't figure out what parts on mine are broken. The exploded diagram int he TM looks completely different than what I have. Am I looking at the wrong TM? it's on page 272 of the TM9-1819AC

Attachments

jimm1009

Exactly which model truck do you have.?

If it is an M35A2 I can take some pictures tonight when I arrive back home after work.

If not then perhaps someone with the right model will chime in for you.

jimm1009 here on S.S. or e-mail: jimm1009@yahoo.com

joshgar8

With the piece that you have zip tied, my truck had that 1/4" or 5/16" shaft, which ever it may be, put through the hole in the parking brake arm and a large nut with a taper on one side much like a lug nut then a lock nut threaded onto the shaft mentioned above. the lugnut was used to center the the smaller shaft into the hole is the parkingbrake arm from the taper on one side and then gave a flat surface for the lock nut to seat onto. Im pretty sure its not the way it was from AM general, however it is how I got it from GL and it seems to work perfect.

jasonjc

jos is right about the 2 nuts. That spring hooks into the hole in the arm you can se in the bottom of pic #2. For the M35A2 you need to look in the TM 9-2320-209-__ and/or the TM 9-2320-361-__ they are for the newer trucks

Biggles

So not only am I looking at the wrong TM I also have something that is probably different than what the TM was written for......I'll download the correct TM and try and figure out how many/what parts I'm missing then figure out where to order them from. Thanks for the help.

Biggles

jos is right about the 2 nuts. That spring hooks into the hole in the arm you can se in the bottom of pic #2. For the M35A2 you need to look in the TM 9-2320-209-__ and/or the TM 9-2320-361-__ they are for the newer trucks

I thought that was were that spring belonged but I don't think ti will go there until i have everything else straightened out because it causes the pad to drag when I hook it.

RAYZER

just pulled my parking brake shoes and had them relined, looks like your missing a spring up top on the arm, this spring hooks into the eye of a big cotter pin that goes through the hole on the arm a couple of inches down from the top where the parking brake cable goes through, then the spring hooks through a hole in a tab that is welded to (i think) the cross member,maybe the frame, the other spring in pic 2 hooks around the bolt (like it is in the pic) and then hooks through a hole on top of the shoe, if you find this spring hard to get on un adjust the bolt its hooked around so the shoe will move farther up, hook the spring around the bolt first and then through the hole in the shoe, then adjust the bolt back down so theres about 1/8th" clearance between the shoe and the drum, the final adj is the nut on the end of the parking brake cable, there should be about 1/4" thick lining on the shoes if there near new, if you have a newer style p brake lever it has an adjustment at the tip of it, adjust it down some before making your final adj underneath so you can tweek it from the handle/lever in the cab. Ray

Last edited:

jasonjc

One other thing you need to look at is where the 2 shoes pivot on the arm and the big bolt at the bottom. Take it apart and make shure all is clean/rust free and regrease every thing. If the shoes can't move freely they will drag.

two.fiveM35

You can buy them from Memphis Equipment. The spring with the square end that hooks on the top of the outer parking brake shoe costs$10.65.

Look in TM 9-2320-361-20 pages 8-7 and 8-9 have a good picture and

TM9-2320-209-20-3-2 page 13-3 thru 13-8

Last edited:

Jimma

Does anyone know a resonably priced source of parking brake / emergency brake shoes / pads for the M35a2? I know some of the surplus places sell them but they seem expensive. Are they available through any of the auto parts stores?

crasheej

I hate to tell you this but I bought two sets off the efly for $76.00 with shiping. That was after I witched single sets go for over 120.. so check that out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks