• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Parking garage vs Parking lot

The Baron

I took my M1009 with me to college in Columbia Missouri. It hasn't experienced a winter with snow yet and has very little rust. I'm very concerned that it will rust out. I have the option of keeping it in a parking garage or a parking lot which is paved and covered in gravel. Should I go with the garage or the lot? How long does it take for these things to rust out? What can I do to help the rust from getting too bad.

barefootin

If you have the option and it's not costing you extra $$, I'd go with covered storage. If I could, all my toys would be under cover when not in use. My trucks are trucks and are used as such, but I love them and I want to keep them around as long as I can. There are lower cost of ownership benefits as well; rust, paint, interior, brake and fuel lines rusting by frame retention points, etc.

Just make sure it fits if you go with the garage. Some garages have pretty low clearances. My Chevy K and wifes LR Disco don't fit in some of our local parking garages.

Last edited:

Flyingvan911

Inside is always better. It will help stave off the rust a little. Especially over the long term. No matter what, the rust will come. Ashes to ashes, iron ore to iron ore.

Skinny

Snow by itself is not the enemy. Road salt is the killer.
I was going to say...it has more to do with the liquid calcium slurry most New England states use now. May as well start pre-rusting them from the factory at this point.

Doesn't stop me from using oil on my chassis. Kill the whales...save the cuck vee:!:

ralbelt

I have sprayed the bottom side with rust converter. All the rust, even the leaf springs turned black and no sign of rust after 3 months. The guy who recommended it sprayed his truck a year ago and no signs of rust.

saddamsnightmare

August 26th, 2012.

Probably the best way to save your CUCV from rust is to move to western Texas, beyond that you would be well advised to coat the underside with Marine Bituminous Epoxy enamel, such as is used on towboat hulls, otherwise, its a GM it's gonna rust, and bad....2cents

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Until you have lived in a northern climate and EXPERINCED a REAL winter , with LOTS of the LIQUID ACID they use to get ride of ice , you have no idea about rust . Do your self a big favor get a beater for the winter and leave the MV in the barn . I live in BUFFALO , vehicles get put away in october and are not seen until April maybe May some years ! :grd:RTK

ralbelt

Its called "super spec' From Benjamin Moore. Cleans up with soap and water. Can be applied with a brush. At first I put it in a spray bottle and tested it. Later on I put in in a HVLP sprayer. Prep was power washer and wire brush or wheel as needed.