• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Part numbers???

hoplite666

Is it just me, or can the TM's be a bit of a pain when it comes to finding part #'s? Yes, often times the best and most accurate way, especially when it comes to the little things, is to look at a diagram. But I was thinking how awfully convenient it would be if someone where to categorically make a list of common part #'s from the various parts suppliers for the day to day parts of our trucks. Then make a sticky. Does this list exist? Brakes, belts, hoses, seals, etc. All the little things I've found myself tearing through the TM's and the search feature for. I've seen this for belts somewhere on here but what about everything else. Thoughts?

hoplite666

I only thought of this because I've spent the last 45 minutes trying to find part #'s for input/output seals on my m1009's transfer case. Furthermore when I did my belts w/ napa brand belts the ones I ended up using where not at all the ones listed elsewhere on the forum.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The cucv wiki and the FAQ have many of the part numbers.

Why not take it upon yourself to build a parts list and post it.

i

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It should not take 45 min to find anything in the parts tms.

Use the table of contents in the front of the TM.

Last edited:

hoplite666

It should not take 45 min to find anything in the parts tms.

Use the table of contents in the fron of the TM.
For many if us it does. Large files can be cumbersome to work with, especially when using a tablet or mobile device. Which I often am when working in the driveway.
Another thing, can't all of you senior members take a chill pill? I've never encountered more condescending negativity on a forum then I get here. Even hunting and gun forums are more relaxed. I get it, hearing the same questions over and over again gets a annoying but not everyone is a search feature guru.
Im making a suggestion that a quick reference guide with current part numbers that members have personal experience with and know for sure work would be a good addition to the site. This is because in my experience the tm's take forever to browse through, the wiki part numbers are dated and the search feature often only delivers old posts with old data. I'd be happy to compile a list of part number I know work however I've not yet needed many repairs so it would be limited. A list like this would be useful to me and other junior members who, like me may be confused when rockauto lists 5 different seals and I wonder what you guys use and how it's holding up.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Use paper manuals, it's a lot easier and faster. ETMs are very nice, and I use them too, but for finding NSN's/PN's/CAGE Codes and the like, it is hard to beat paper. I often have my son look up stuff while we are wrenching a vehicle.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I actually have all the pertinent TMs for my trucks on my iPad, a 16Gb iPad at that. They're just PDF files so if you table supports is no big deal.

I can find things using my iPad and sometimes when camping I actually look through the TMs (yes, out of boredom).

There are stickys where members have collected information on various part numbers, all you have to do is ask.

Finally, Doghead was not being condescending towards you, here merely pointed out that it should not take 45 minutes to find anything in the parts TM. With a tablet you should be able to scroll through every page in the manual in less than 45 minutes. Yes, I use the ToC but only sometimes.

richingalveston

What you are suggesting already exist in the CUCV Stickies. It is the very top post. Search through this post and if there are any common parts that you find missing then start a new post and people will help fill in the needed info. Once the post is deemed appropriate for the sticky, one of the Moderators will clean it up and add it to this already existing Sticky.

That is how most of the information on this site was compiled. A Member here decides that some info would be helpful, he makes a post, others chime in. Once all of the info is out there and determined to be helpful, it can then be made a sticky.

I can't use the manuals very well my self so the sticky section on the forum is a great help.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To the OP:
If you find useful information that is not in the Stickies, such as the part numbers for the transfer case seals, you can send a PM to the CUCV forum moderators with the information. They can add your information to the existing stickies. The stickies are an amazing resource. They are comprehensive, but there's always room for more details.

Case in point: This summer, I ran into a major problem locating the correct part numbers for the steering components on my M1009. I created this thread: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?125140-M1009-Tie-Rod-End-Replacement-Project&highlight=
I looked through all of the TM's and printed out all of the pages detailing the replacement. The problem I ran into, which I will summarize here, is that the exact parts are no longer produced for the K5 Blazer. I really didn't want anyone else to face the same pain I did, so I documented everything and created the thread. Recently, I PM'ed a moderator and asked that the thread be included in the stickies.

Sometimes the search function within Steel Soldiers doesn't display all of the information that I'm looking for. I use the following command on Google:
site:steelsoldiers.com {whatever I'm searching for} Usually, I find exactly what I want by using this command.

I use the Find/Search command a great deal when I use the PDF TM's. If I can't find the section I want from the table of contents (or if I don't know what section to look in), I search for a key word or two. That points me in the right direction, and I find another word that's closer to the part I'm looking for.

I hope that some of this helps you out.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Use paper manuals, it's a lot easier and faster. ETMs are very nice, and I use them too, but for finding NSN's/PN's/CAGE Codes and the like, it is hard to beat paper. I often have my son look up stuff while we are wrenching a vehicle.
I'm old school too, just as important as parts for the vehicles I own, are the paper manuals. Several great sources on the web have original or reproductions of TMs for these trucks. As Steve states , I read them like a good book when time is available.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks