• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Parting out military trucks for fun and profit?

ichudov

As I mentioned earlier, I "buy and sell" industrial equipment. A few times, I came across a few civilian trucks that were not usable for various reasons, but had various usable parts, like engines, stainless salt spreaders, tires, hoods, and what not.

I bought and parted them out and it was great.

Now that I see there is lots of great expensive trucks being sold, I was wondering "how parting out works" with military trucks. Say, I buy some non-running truck for less than scrap, parts out and scrap it. Has anyone tried it?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very rarely will you buy on GL for less than scrap value. The same outfits that bid on the scrap contracts at the bases are blanket bidding on this stuff. It is very predictable where they will stop bidding, based on the wholesale value of steel scrap plus some transporation cost.

ichudov

Very rarely will you buy on GL for less than scrap value. The same outfits that bid on the scrap contracts at the bases are blanket bidding on this stuff. It is very predictable where they will stop bidding, based on the wholesale value of steel scrap plus some transporation cost.
I get $260 per ton for my HMS steel scrap such as heavy trucks. Comparable amount for all used oil in them.

An M927, for example, weighs about 24300 lbs. Say 23000 without tires. Good 11R20 tires sell for $150 each easily.

So we get 10*150+23000/2000*260=4,490.

Taking it apart further, there are four batteries at 32 cents per lb.

Cummins engine 2-3 grand. Transfer case, latches, hood, doors, wipers, ECUs etc etc. Good beds can also be sold etc.

That does reduce somewhat the amount of scrap metal, but the reduction is minuscule compared to what value I get from those parts.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you make money parting a truck out? Yes. However, most of this is not like handling gold. You will almost certainly sit on the bulky stuff that you want to sell. Hoods, beds, cabs...that stuff is going to sit. You'll find that guys grab up the trinkets quickly and the carcass is left. If you have a strong back, and patience, not to mention space, you'll make money.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The market for MV parts is small compared to other vehicles. The buyers are cheap.

Memphis Equipment, Eastern Supply and many other vendors are doing the same thing. If you have the space to store the items then yes you can make some money.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The buyers are cheap that much is true because a lot of the Cummins engines are going for $1,000 but you may get more in the Chicago area.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I think a lot of the big vendors export the trucks to other countries. I spoke with the owner of tjnmurray a few months ago when I was looking for some part he said he had a big contract for a quantity of trucks for what I believe was an overseas customer. Smaller counties don't have the resources to have oshkosh or am general design a fancy truck for them if they pay 25k or so per truck from a reseller in quantity they are still saving a significant amount of money over new trucks and are getting battle proven vehicles that are easy to maintain.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
If you could convert the 6cta to the marine version, and I really don't know what the differences are but the marine ones go for big bucks and boat people are spenders on their boats

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think a lot of the big vendors export the trucks to other countries. I spoke with the owner of tjnmurray a few months ago when I was looking for some part he said he had a big contract for a quantity of trucks for what I believe was an overseas customer. Smaller counties don't have the resources to have oshkosh or am general design a fancy truck for them if they pay 25k or so per truck from a reseller in quantity they are still saving a significant amount of money over new trucks and are getting battle proven vehicles that are easy to maintain.
Be VERY careful about trying to export unless you have an export license. I realize these trucks (the M939s...for some really strange reason) are not EUC items. Still, be careful.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
When I was buying deuces for 1000 bucks and driving them home I parted out a few trucks. At that time the Rock Crawlers were all over the Rockwell axles and I made my money back on one steering and one pull axle. The problem was (and is now with the 900 series trucks) that the market was saturated with deuces. I hauled parts to rallys until I was sick of it. Stuff you think will jump off the shelf will gather dust or rust and it takes up a lot of space. I still have three multi-fuel engines that are sitting around getting stripped for parts. They were running when pulled but nobody close by needed them. The next time I get in a bind for cash they are on a slow boat to China.
Your milage my vary but if doing this was easy and profitable there would be a lot more people doing it.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I've been sitting on a lot of 939 parts for a while now. They just simply don't move like I thought they would. Even slashing prices. I'm probably just going to scrap this cab I have simply because no one is even interested in it.

ichudov

I've been sitting on a lot of 939 parts for a while now. They just simply don't move like I thought they would. Even slashing prices. I'm probably just going to scrap this cab I have simply because no one is even interested in it.
It is probably because, as another poster alluded here, the market is saturated with good trucks. vERY good food for thought guys. Thanks. I will try to make sure that scrap covers my entire cost right away and will stay away from bulky items (beds and cabs)

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Two brothers in the Netherlands (both well over 70) bought lots of old surplus stuff when it was still cheap. The brother buying the European surplus is still buying. However, he now is buying the newer stuff coming free and after some modifications, virtually all of it is going as drivable trucks to Africa. The old stuff get shifted very slowly. The brother doing the US stuff is sitting on tons of deuces and 5-tons, all rotting away in his yard. He keeps repairing some of them or parting them and selling it piecemeal all over the developing and underdeveloped world.

It only works for them because they both have a large operation going on and bought most of their stuff when it was still relatively cheap AND they already have reliable contacts, buyers and routes how to shift the stuff. Being sure the scrap prices will always cover their back, they drift along. However, I think the collectors market is only a small part of their business.

Trying get into this surplus buying and parting out game now, I think, is like getting in on the steep increase in the share market just before it bursts. A very few sharp operators get rich quick, but most people get burned or sit on something they cannot shift for a long time. Sure, scrap prices will cover your back...as long as you only count the cash $$ in and out. Now think about the value loss of the money locked up in stuff laying around, space the stuff takes up that cannot be used differently, the aggro of trying to sell bits and pieces, time lost in all this with answering phones, negotiations, etc etc etc. I am not saying it can't be done, but it won't be that easy and at the end of they if you count all your direct and indirect costs including all your time, I am not sure the profit will be that big. auaauaaua

Then again, if you get a lot of fun out of it and have the space and $$ reserves and time, why not.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I was buying deuces for 1000 bucks and driving them home I parted out a few trucks. At that time the Rock Crawlers were all over the Rockwell axles and I made my money back on one steering and one pull axle. The problem was (and is now with the 900 series trucks) that the market was saturated with deuces. I hauled parts to rallys until I was sick of it. Stuff you think will jump off the shelf will gather dust or rust and it takes up a lot of space. I still have three multi-fuel engines that are sitting around getting stripped for parts. They were running when pulled but nobody close by needed them. The next time I get in a bind for cash they are on a slow boat to China.
Your milage my vary but if doing this was easy and profitable there would be a lot more people doing it.
When deuces went up to $1000 I didn't think they would ever sell another one. I was so wrong. I remember the first $1000 deuce I bought, I felt violated paying that much. Now a thousand dollar deuce is a bargain. Bargain deuces used to be $2-300 with many residue trucks selling for around $100.

tobyS

A key question that I keep having is... how long will the sales keep going? How many of the 5 tons are left to sell, like we see recently?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks