• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Parts for 6.5L GEP Optimizer/4L80E HMMWV

MaverickH1

Any suggestions on where to get parts for the 6.5L GEP Optimizer engine and 4L80E transmission?

Ideally, I'd like to be able to hop on Rock Auto and look for parts for a 2002 6.5L Chevrolet van or something... I'm hoping the answer is that simple to get filters, serpentine belts, etc. But I'm guessing it won't be anywhere near that simple. But I'll hold out hope.

Any advice is welcomed. The technical manual section has 6.5 information, but it appears to only have data for older engines...

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The bare long block is the same as the bare long block made by GM (with casting improvements). Most everything attached to it is HMWWV specific. The 4L80E is the same as what would be used in a similar era GM 4x4 equipped with 6.5 turbodiesel.

Everyone agree?

MaverickH1

Call Kascar. They should have whatever you need and can get what they don't.
Unfortunately, that leaves only one person with one price. I'm hoping to be able to use common parts and have more options, like going to Advance Auto.

For example of my immediate concern, I am one of the people who has the VW diesel emissions scandal affected vehicles. VW gave me a $500 card that is for use at dealerships only. I've found a Chevrolet dealership that is 3 hours away from my house that is also a VW dealership. They have said they will honor the gift card even if I buy Chevrolet parts there. So I have a window tomorrow when I'm driving back from OH to VA to stop by that dealership and get some regular maintenance parts for the HMMWV I'm waiting on an EUC for. The Humvee will likely be approved in November. The card expires in November.

Worst case, I might just buy fluids, maybe some engine oil filters, etc.

I'm having a hard time finding part numbers for the GEP 6.5L parts, and those parts often don't translate well to regular GM parts. I'm hoping the hive here has much better knowledge on this and can help out.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A Chevy dealership will not be stocking very much for a 16+ year old diesel pickup.

That said, a set of injectors might be available as well as a transmission filter/pan set.

dilvoy

OH, OK. Probably easiest to get a parts list or parts manual for a 1992 to 1993 Hummer and find what parts are the same. As you have found out, a military Parts TM doesn't give you easy part numbers to use. You will then be able to use the AM General civilian part number for the Hummer part in question and there will be a good chance of a cross reference to other companies parts lists like Goodyear ect. A place like Kascar will get you OEM quality parts, Rock Auto and the like will have choices and you will have to figure out if you want top quality or cheapo parts.

MaverickH1

I ended up getting a ton of fluids that I hope can be used with the truck... having $500 to spend was fairly difficult. The parts shown in Wagnum's post seemed to me to be almost all Hummer H1 parts, not necessarily HMMWV parts. Or the part number listed on the page wasn't something the GM dealer could search for, i.e. they couldn't find Napa part #1234 in their system.

So I left with 16 gallons of 15w-40 diesel oil that seemed like it was used for the 6.5L diesels, and I'll use it in other vehicles as well... maybe 17 quarts of Dexron VI for the 4L80E, and 6 gallons or so of whatever AC Delco coolant they had. I was in a rush to get home, so that was the best I could come up with in the time crunch I was under.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks