• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Parts for 900 series

Staffsargent

Just got some parts in for 900 Series 5 tons, (1)Power steering filter kit-$10.00, (4)Rear outter axel seal-$25.00 each, 1 set Frt air seal set-$30.00, (1)Fuel filter kit- $25.00, (1) Power steering filter kit-$10.00 +S&H

GIJoeCzar

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Staffsargent, M939s in civilian hands are still very rare, so the parts aren't in demand (will be another 20 years). I'm interested in any/all M939 parts that you have, but I'm a wholesaler and would only pay about 1/10th what you're asking as I have all of those parts in stock. What other M939 series parts do you have in stock? Can you get other M939 series parts? feel free to email me at (joe@czarnik.net). Very sincerely, Joe

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No offense here, but I don't understand...

If there's no market for the parts, then how do you stay in business as a wholesaler? To whom do you wholesale? And why do you have high retail (not wholesale) pricing on your trucks?

Are Staffsargent's prices so high that you would only pay 1/10th of his price? If not, then that's one heck of a margin... Don't get me wrong, I understand that dealers buy low and sell at retail and wholesalers supply retailers (dealers). Dealers and wholesalers take risks and buy quantities. They need to make a living and that's fine. I think most hobbyists would want the same thing (who wouldn't)? But are wholesale prices that low?!? Either the above prices are too high or the offer is too low. What do you get for the above items (wholesale)?

GIJoeCzar

Steel Soldiers Supporter
CUCVFAN

Trust that your response taught me two good things. First, this isn't the forum for retailers and hobbyists, it's a forum for hobbyists. Got it! I'm fairly new to this forum, so forgive me for that. Second, M939 series trucks won't become wildly popular for another 20 years. M809 series trucks are just NOW gaining popularity (and availability) in civilian hands. So the best way that I can answer your question is this -- how many people do you know who own M35s? How many people do you know who own M813s? How many people do you know who own M923s? All I'm trying to do here is establish in fact that there aren't many M939 series trucks in civilian hands. And, if you look at how long it takes 6x6s to become popular in civilian hands from date of introduction in to the military, I'd argue that's about 20 to 30 years. OK, so why is it that I'm not willing to pay jack shit (I'll be brutally honest here) for M939 series parts and to whom do I retail to if there's no market? The reality is that I am one of the VERY few in the U.S. who are building an experience and parts base for the M939 series trucks. Parts -- inventory -- costs money, lots of money! The reality is that I'll buy a part today and likely won't sell it for another 10 years; maybe sooner, but likely later. So I'll continue on the math problem here. Let's say you put $100 in a EE savings bond; in about 12 years you've doubled your money. The inverse is true. Let's say I buy a part today with that same $100; in 12 years of sitting on my shelf that part now cost me $200 (future value of money). OK, that future value of math part of the equation is easy. Now let's talk risk. Let's say that three years from now the Department of Transportation tells DoD to stop releasing M939 series trucks, because they roll over too easily. Remember the M151 mutt? So, not only am I making a L O N G term investment in parts, I'm taking substantial risk that there will be a return on my investment. OK, if you don't get the picture by now I can't help you to understand. Trust that I am frustrated, and defensive, by your accusatory email. I'm not getting rich off of this stuff. In fact, so far I'm still about $48k in the whole (truck inventory plus parts inventory plus cost of flying out to Hawaii a few times a year). And you know what really sucks? When I fly out to Hawaii I don't get to do the touristy things, it's just work, work, work at Barbers Point. Last, who's the market today? Well, I'd say on average about one person a month contacts me for parts, seldom M939 series parts at that. Of those who contact me, I've gained a reputation of either selling them the best product at the most competitive price or referring them to others. In fact, if you look at a post I made last night a guy asked me for my price on a M939 series air filter. My answer was "I charge $100, because there is no commercial cross reference for this part number. And, I strongly encourage you to look other places as I know that there are places other than me to get this air filter that are cheaper". And again, in the last 30 days I've referred no less than 15 people (hobbyists all) to the likes of John Winslow, Oshkosh Equipment, Ranchers Supply, and many others. SO, I respectfully ask you to calm down and tone down. If I had something to hide, or something to be ashamed of, I wouldn't do it in an open forum like Steel Soldiers. My hope is that others who have dealt with me will chime in to defend my honor. Trust you hit a nerve ...

GIJoeCzar

Steel Soldiers Supporter
809 Air filter needed

Staffsargent, send a PM to Steamynachos as he's looking for a M809 series air filter; the M939 series and M809 series air filters are the same. Likewise, the outer axle seals that you have are the same for the M809 and M939 and M939A1. As for your other M939 series specific parts, if you can't sell it elsewhere, and you're willing to sell for cheap, drop me a note. Thanks, Joe

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: CUCVFAN

First off, I was/am perfectly calm. Second, don't let my post discourage you. This a forum for MV enthusiasts, which includes dealers. There are other dealers on this forum. I have nothing against dealers. As I said, I totally understand the position, especially now that GL is the main source.

I never accused you of anything, except offering a low price for parts, which near as I can tell, you admit to so there should be no issue there? There are lots of honest dealers and I do not question that you are probably an honest enough guy, but I don't know you from Adam and there are enough "less than forthcoming" dealers to make me cautious. It is a hard thing to do to make a commitment to a business that will probably not pay off for a while and I give you credit for it. I have contemplated the same in the past. However, your post makes it sound like you are trying to make people think that the 900 parts are worthless because "there's no market". If that wasn't the intent, then OK.

Really, I appreciate your honesty. I love the truth. You are not willing to pay s**t for parts and you admit it. I respect that. As I said: No offense, I just didn't understand why you would post that in the forum and you explained it nicely. No hard feelings from my end...

GIJoeCzar

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: CUCVFAN

CUCVFAN,

Thanks. Now that I've got my feathers back where they belong:) Clearly I picked my wording poorly in my original email. My intent with "wholesaler" was only to communicate that I'm not willing to pay much for the parts. I am not a dealer. I purchased a bunch of these trucks with the intent of selling a few to restore the other few, and that's what I'm doing. Somewhere along the way, I decided to "dive in" and start assembling an experience and parts base. AND, that's what I am doing. I am very appreciative that you understand brutally honest; many do not. I don't like to beat around the bush. I tell people what I'm willing to pay and I tell people what I'm will to sell for; take it or leave it. As for the trucks that I'm selling, go to (http://www.czarnik.net/joe/My_Stuff...9 Series 5 Ton trucks That I Want TO Sell.doc). Take all four and they're yours for $52,000.00 -- for all four. NO ONE can beat that price for what I've got. Yup, I see that guy on eBay with the M923A1 WITH super singles WITH ABS ... and, I just got detailed photos from him. His trucks are rusty top to bottom. My trucks do have a small amount of rust on top, but the drive trains are rust free and in most cases, recently rebuilt by the government. So there you go, how bout you take all four:) I’m offering this price for all four through Dec 31; after that, I’m committed to restoring each and every one. Believe it or not, these trucks are routinely selling for $25,000.00 when fully restored. And I’m a capitalist; my name’s Jimmy and I’ll take all you gimme:) Thanks for your understanding. I'm TDY up at Carlisle, PA through next June and get through Maryland all the time. I look forward to meeting you some time. Very sincerely, Joe Czarnik

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I know both GIJOECZAR (Joe) and CUCVFAN (Neil) and I can say that you both are very good people. I can attest to the fact that Joe is a stand-up guy who sells really good stuff and really cares about the trucks, as well as this hobby. I was the one that invited Joe to join SteelSoldiers since I know he has a wealth of knowledge, an almost unparalleled interest in the trucks, and I felt he would enjoy the discussions (I hope I was correct). Neil is one of the nicest guys that I've met in this hobby. He has become a great friend after buying a deuce from me.. An example: I once had a deuce with a blown head gasket and he offered to help, but ended up fixing the truck by one his own.

TacticalTruck

http://www.army4x4.com/900_series.shtml
www.csivehicles.com
CMS
http://www.sarafan.com/m923pic.html
tom murray

Just a quick list. Very rare...compared to M35s. I bought my first one, a M931, 10 years ago. Not all truck series take 20 to 30 years to be surplused. Joe don't expect to use a tactic used by other surplus deals for years and years to try to buy cheap and not get called on it. Also don't expect to find quanities of surplus parts, that are worth a damn, to stock pile. It just dosen't happen that way anymore.
Jeff

Towman2277

What gets me about this thread is (here I go!!) Staffsargent only has a few parts...a FEW, not cases or pallet fulls, and he is asking a reasonable price for the items, so why try to beat him down to 1/10 of his asking price?? Just because we all don't own M939's, that doesn't mean the parts are deemed "useless" or have no demand. Man, I need to find me a 939 .....obviously parts are only 1/10 of m35's!!!!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

I think thats just what Joe was willing to pay. SSGT can always peddle them to some other person for a better price. This is not a business for me so for the most part I swap or give stuff away to the fellow collectors who do the same. Truthfully, the offer should have probably been in a PM and if SSGT didn't want to sell it, he could have just said so. I know I've had folks offer me $500 for a running deuce with a $5300 asking price. I just smile and tell them I'd burn it first. Oh well, its water under the bridge and nobody got hurt so back to your regularly scheduled forum.

GIJoeCzar

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Alright guys, I give:)

Please watch eBay the next time someone lists M939 parts and let me know what you see.

And, a challenge (I know you guys like challenges). Name ten people in the United States who privately own and have state title and license for an M939 series truck (include pictures or other proof). I'll even start you out with two people, Bruce and I; only eight to go ...

You guys are growing on me already:)

Joe

TacticalTruck

sorry, can't prove it but off the top of my head:
me
jeff r
john w
randy in nj
david w
mark c
and the two people who bought from ebay seller wwrmorris

i don't want to throw anyones ful name around for the web crawlers.
jeff

GIJoeCzar

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Not so fast (or easy:)

I know John W - John doesn't count as he doesn't have any "privately owned, state titled, and licensed M939 series truck". Sure, I can rattle off just about ten places that sell them, but show me who privately owns them.

Again, the challenge is "Name ten people in the United States who privately own and have state title and license for an M939 series truck (include pictures or other proof).". And, to be fare, I'll start with mine. I'm in PA and my trucks are in WI, so I'll have to wait until Christmas to get pictures of one of my trucks with the state collector plates mounted to them.

I promised myself I'd never get hooked on one of these darn blogs ...

http://czarnik.net/joe/My_Stuff/5_Ton_Trucks/Joe's%20Motorpool/DSC01611.JPG

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks