• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Parts source recommendation

bones1

Can you guys point me to a good/ fair source for Deuce brake parts? I have all rear wheels leaking gear oil so new shoes now, and all seals maybe?. Wheel cylinders I will inspect when I get in there. Is there anything else I should look for?. Thanks.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ditto on Erik's. I've bought a lot of things from Erik and received great service. I recently received a faulty headlamp and he immediately forwarded a replacement. He also seems to get parts that others don't have. Highly recommended.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Sounds like you are going have to do a complete service on all the rear wheels....you need to find out why all the seals blew at one time......the rear ends could have been overfilled.

You can clean the shoes with brake cleaner if they are still serviceable.

There should be some suppliers near you.......not sure if NAPA or Fleetpride carry wheel cylinders that will cross over.

Wheel cylinders can be rebuilt but unless you are well versed in doing it it's prob cheaper to buy new or rebuilt ones.

bones1

Thanks for all the great sources. I have heard of these guys but not had the need to buy anything till now. I don't know why they all started leaking, when parked gear oil running down the inside of each tire. At first I thought it was brake fluid but I added a remote reservoir a while back and it ,fluid level, has not budged since I put it on. What made me crawl under the truck when I got home was a fast changing yellow/orange traffic light and I was running at speed and had to stop. I stood on the brakes and went right through that orange traffic light. I know what oil soaked shoes will do and they did it.
All wheels come off now.

DieselBob

What made me crawl under the truck when I got home was a fast changing yellow/orange traffic light and I was running at speed and had to stop. I stood on the brakes and went right through that orange traffic light. I know what oil soaked shoes will do and they did it.
All wheels come off now.
Now that will cause a major pucker factor.

bones1

10-4. This one stays put till I fix it. I am hoping it is just oil impregnated shoes causing the problem. Do folks usually turn these drums, we always did in the 60's and 70's, makes a nicer job. We also contoured the shoes to fit each drum but try to find that machine anymore although I did see one on here for sale a while back.

Now that I think about it, I bet some big truck shops still contour shoes.:idea:

Last edited:

DieselBob

Back when I pulled wrenches for a living we use to take them to Wareheim Air Brakes up on Rt1 around Elkridge. Not sure if they are even there anymore.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
All the brake shops here have been shut down for years. No drums turned, no shoes re-lined etc,.:(
There are places...Atlanta, GA., Dothan, AL., etc., but the travel/shipping/downtime cost is prohibitive...so new stuff it is for us... and that's even for our commercial trucks.:shock:

bones1

I remember Wareheim and May's brake on New York Ave both did em.I have turned my share on an Ammco 4000 brake lathe and surface ground flywheels back before we knew it would kill us. You can still buy the lathes new.
I wonder about the vents...............

midcounty

Plus 1 for Eriks. TNJ Murray is only an hour drive for me, but I usually find a better deal from Eriks. I have heard Murray does well on brake shoes though. You may want to call Maryland Truck Salvage in Easton. They may turn brake drums.

F18hornetM

We inspect our drums, [commecial trucks] if scored bad, or wore out of specs, we replace now even though we have a lathe that can turn them. Seldom are they bad and usually will go through a couple sets of shoes. If urs just has oil on them brakleen does pretty good, But I would clean them off as soon as possible as it does seem to soak into the linings...warehiem is now Fleetpride, at least here anyway and thats where we get our air brake parts from. commercial trucks that is.
I am curious why it leaked on all 4 at the same time. It has been super hot lately, maybe a little overfull or vent stuck, or all 4 sets of wheel bearings loose!!! not likely..LOL

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks