• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Parts trip gone wrong

ivbeenrokd

We pulled out yesterday morning at 6:00 with a destination of C and C Surplus just south of Indianapolis to pick up an M35 cab for my 4 door project as well as meeting Warren (Kasper31) there to get him some parts and he had (2) 1400 XZLs for me.

About an hour from our destination we hit some snow but not really much snow so I wasn't too concerned. About 5 minutes into that a work van in front of us lost control. He over corrected going to the left emergency lane (I let off the throttle to slow down), he over corrected again going all the way back across to the right emergency lane (I tapped the brakes and immediately realized that wasn't going to help but stayed on the brakes and steering just in case it started to grab), he over corrected a 3rd time shooting back across left directly in front of us and we T-boned him. It was a hard hit around 45 MPH or so with airbags and everything. Both vehicles stayed together and rode into the low median where they stopped (there was also a car to my left that must have avoided this by inches). We were banged up and bruised but no cuts or broken bones to my knowledge (though my whole upper body is pretty sore this morning). The van turned out to be a state maintenance van with 4 people in it (I think). 3 of the four walked away and 1 went to the hospital for pain but visually looked okay. This all happened around 10:30AM.

Warren continued south to meet us as we waited in the median to swap parts which we were able to do a few hours later. He said from north of Indianapolis, south to meet us, then back north again they counted 74 various types of vehicles off the road.

We finally made it out of the median around 2:15 and headed home around 5:30 in a rental truck arriving home around 10:30.

Our truck is likely totaled and was left in Indiana.

I still need a cab so I will either have to plan a trip back again to get one or try to find one a little closer. Unfortunately that was the only open bed truck we have (other than a deuce) and it will likely be at least a month before it gets replaced.

This parts trip was definitely more eventful than hoped or planned but God protected us all and we walked away.

Sorry to hear your story.
I had a five hour drive through the Hoosier state yesterday also. I've never experienced white out conditions like that before. I feel fortunate to have made it through. This has been an exceptional Winter around here.
Should you need help in the Cincinnati area, there are many of us here.
Drive safe.

ivbeenrokd

Pictures shortly after the accident. Parts in the bed were strapped down but still beat in the front of the bed enough to bend it, the cab, and break the rear glass. I don't want to think about what would have happened if they hadn't been strapped in at all.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389972302.076293.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389972319.035548.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389972336.147474.jpg

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like all you had to do when you stopped was, roll down your windows to exchange information!

Last edited:

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That should buff out OK :D

Seriously, I'm glad everyone was relatively OK! Sounds like there was some black ice under that snow.

glassk

Broken Glass always hate to hear that,

Hope it wasn't any Kin Folks of mine, Glad you are OK and You were Strapped in also,...

DanDan

Trucks can be replaced but people cant. Sorry to hear of the unfortunate incident and hopefully it will work out in the end. I was hit by a front end loader before Christmas and my van was written off so I'm having a similar experience.

Good luck!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Wow, glad to hear your sore and not dead. I guess it wasn't your time. It amazes me how many people don't adjust their driving to meet road conditions, or look any farther than the vehicle in front of them.

ducer

Sorry to hear about your adventures in my state. I'm glad to hear ya'll walked away though. Stupid is universal, no matter where you go you will allways run into a stupid person and in this case you litteraly did. My motto slow down a tad when it is bad.

Denny

goodguyzy

I had a similar accident a few years ago, person in front of me lost control, went into other lane hit snow bank and came back into my lane over corrected back to other lane then back in front of me. I hit them in the rear when their vehicle was about at a 45 degree in road. just dented bumper. guess who's fault? yep mine, I was pretty pissed off.

ivbeenrokd

As far as following distance goes, I believe I was a good hundred to 150 feet back when it all started. But, it's hard to know for sure with something like this because the details can get a little fuzzy.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just for refrence.

65 m.p.h. 96 ft. per second288 ft.576 ft.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad you guys made it out ok. hope the worker is ok too. I never liked those big vans, seems way to easy for something to go funky in bad weather!

Glad you guys are ok. only material things were hurt, and those can be replaced. Happy you weren't cruising out in a M1008 or something.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad everyone's alive. Good thing you were in a full size truck.

Not sure why, but I've seen 12 vehicles in the ditch in the last 5 days. Seems to happen when it first starts snowing.